Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jbshields  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2010 2:13:58 PM(UTC)
jbshields

Groups: Registered

Hello,
I have a GE Double Oven that appears to come on; however, it never heats up much less goes beyond 100-degrees. I have replaced both the Oven Control (the "brain") and the Panel Control Assembly (the outer portion containing the keypad) and still have the same result (the oven appears like it is working, but does not heat up). I have tried all settings (convection, regular, broil) and none of them heat. Thus, I am assuming I have some sort of issue getting current to the appropriate part of the oven.
The only other thing I can think of right now is that I need to replace the limit switch and/or switch limits. Is there anything else I should check?
Thank you,
Barton Shields
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 2:31:44 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
The first thing I would check is power to the unit.
The controls etc. only use half the line (120 volts) but the elements require the full 240 volts.
It is not uncommon to loose half the line and often this will not trip the breaker.

L1 to L2 should be 240 volts
L1 to Neutral and L2 to Neutral, both should be 120 volts.
If OK
Unplug the unit and check the wires at the terminal strip in the machine to make sure none are loose or burned out
If OK
Check the power at the terminal strip.
[COLOR="Red"]Be careful as 240 volts is lethal !!! [/COLOR]

I do not have a wiring diagram for this unit, GE likes to keep tech info a secret. Hopefully someone else will jump in who has the wiring.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
kayakcrzy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 3:34:00 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Originally Posted by: jbshields Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
I have a GE Double Oven that appears to come on; however, it never heats up much less goes beyond 100-degrees. I have replaced both the Oven Control (the "brain") and the Panel Control Assembly (the outer portion containing the keypad) and still have the same result (the oven appears like it is working, but does not heat up). I have tried all settings (convection, regular, broil) and none of them heat. Thus, I am assuming I have some sort of issue getting current to the appropriate part of the oven.
The only other thing I can think of right now is that I need to replace the limit switch and/or switch limits. Is there anything else I should check?
Thank you,
Barton Shields

I would agree on checking the power. If both ovens are not working, that would definetly be the culprit. I am sure you cut the breaker of to put in those conponents, and for sure both ovens are not working??? Tom ApplianceEducator.com
jbshields  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:54:24 PM(UTC)
jbshields

Hello,
Thank you,
Barton Shields

Thanks for the advice and yes, you are 100% correct about GE not wanting to "share" the diagram with owners. I was actually shocked to find this out when I called their customer service line and asked them for one and they told they don't have one. Thereafter I got on the internet and figured out that most, if not all, of the oven components are made in China; but that's another topic.
As far as being careful goes, absolutely, I always cut the power before getting near any of the components and/or boards.
I'll let you know how things fare after I try to figure out where the power lines are coming in from.
Thanks again for the information and the quick response.
jbshields  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:55:56 PM(UTC)
jbshields

Originally Posted by: kayakcrzy Go to Quoted Post
I would agree on checking the power. If both ovens are not working, that would definetly be the culprit. I am sure you cut the breaker of to put in those conponents, and for sure both ovens are not working??? Tom ApplianceEducator.com

Thanks Tom, and yes, I am 100% sure both ovens are not working. Warm Regards, Barton
kayakcrzy  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:14:03 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Thanks Tom, and yes, I am 100% sure both ovens are not working. Warm Regards, Barton

Good Luck!!! Let us know. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply