Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jamesce  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 2, 2010 6:59:46 PM(UTC)
jamesce

Groups: Registered

My simmer burners quit. I need a news Tytronics controller. Along the way, I learned some things to share with everyone:
1) Thermador is NOT customer friendly. They refused to give advice on how to disassemble the seized venturi nuts and consequently I caused avoidable damage (cut the darn things, they break at less than 100 ft-lb). They will not send me wiring or schematic diagrams.
2) Thermador won't tell you, but the design life of the simmer controller is 10 years. Less if it gets hot (ie using the small oven.) My simmer controller made in 1998 is at end of life! I'm an engineer who has designed similar "embedded controllers" and I tried to repair the controller. The problem is that the tiny computer in it has lost its memory. I looked up the specs on the microcomputer (ST62T family) and found that the memory life is only 10 years!
3) If BOTH simmer burners have failed at once, suspect the controller. A really easy test for this thing is to measure the DC voltage between POT1 (or POT2) and LINE 120. As you rotate the knob thru the simmer range the voltage will vary between about 0 and 5 VDC. Careful - this is a hot 120v circuit - slip and YOU can be damaged. If you see this variance, the controller power supply is working; if it is not cycling the solenoids, the controller is dead.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.