Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
teresa1  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2008 3:07:35 PM(UTC)
teresa1

Groups: Registered

I have a great 1963 Tappan double oven with hide away burners (Model 442AG). My problem is that the terminal block & the 8" surface element are missing. After much research, I'm told that my 4 wire block is no longer available. (After all, it is from 1963). Anyway, I was wondering if it is possible to convert my 4 wire (black, red, white & orange) setup to a 2 wire setup so that I can get up & running. The holidays are fast approaching & I'd like to have more than my 3 6" burners (surface elements). I would appreciate any help. Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2008 11:22:55 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
This is very serious project, required complete rewiring and replacing of switches, receptacles, heating elements and drip pans.

Gene.
Fairwind  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 16, 2015 1:39:20 PM(UTC)
Fairwind

Groups: Registered

Hey, you are in luck if you still have this fantastic range..The 8" burner has only 2 wires and uses a 2 contact heating element..It's control knob regulates the 220 volts going to the element and thus controls the temperature. The smaller burners have 4-wire elements and connector blocks but not the 8 inch one..

These ranges, top of the line in 1959, are hard to replace because nothing available today matches the side by side burners and ovens at eye level, the slide in burners and built-in cutting board...The 40 inch width makes finding a suitable replacement difficult without remodeling the entire kitchen...

My situation, one leg of the 220 volts feeding the important 8" burner has gone dead, so now my stove is down to 2 working burners. Parts are impossible to find and rebuilding the cabinet with modern electrical controls and equipment is really not an option...
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply