Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
billo  
#11 Posted : Monday, November 24, 2008 4:40:11 PM(UTC)
billo

Groups: Registered

tbandme,

To be clear, the finished side panel stays together at the top with the stove top. I just tilted it about 18" away from the bottom giving me plenty of access to the next panel and the hinge! and sorry about all the spelling mistakes on previous.
tbandme  
#12 Posted : Monday, November 24, 2008 4:49:05 PM(UTC)
tbandme

WOW. my magic chef is gas, is yours? Not sure if gas oven can be turned on it's side...safely. If 2 people work at repair together, do you think the oven can be tipped and held while other person uses the screwdriver? Thanks for all your help. This project is taking way too long.
billo  
#13 Posted : Monday, November 24, 2008 5:07:51 PM(UTC)
billo

No Gas, Mine is Electric. I imagine you could do this without tipping it on it's side. Just made it easier for me. You would have to be on your hands and knees as I was able to work on a small stool half the time. I used a cordless screw gun to make quick work of the screws that I could access easily and a screwdriver for the rest. Who ever said that these hinges come through the front slots in the oven had a very easy job. there is no way we could replace our hinges that way and this was the only way I could figure with not removing the ceramic top! If you want a good tip that I used years ago when removing something that I was not used to is get a box or a piece of cardboard. Label the box with the panels that you're removing and push the screws in the picture of the panel that you just made on the cardboard. That way you will know right where the screws go back during installation and not have extra parts when your done.
tbandme  
#14 Posted : Monday, November 24, 2008 5:12:51 PM(UTC)
tbandme

thanks for your timely replies. We'll revisit the issue this weekend after the holiday...dinner at ma's this year...happy turkey to you!
billo  
#15 Posted : Monday, November 24, 2008 5:16:54 PM(UTC)
billo

You too! Good Luck!
TheGraphicist  
#16 Posted : Sunday, November 28, 2010 9:07:48 PM(UTC)
TheGraphicist

Billo,

Thank you so much for your ingenuity, and your post! My Tappan electric oven's left door hinge broke, and with only the grainy, confusing schematics from Sears to work from, I would have been completely lost without your instructions. I pulled out the unit, turned it on its side, removed the back and enough screws from the left side panel to prop it open, just as you described. It's back together now, resting comfortably and fit as a fiddle -- all thanks to your generous spirit in sharing your brilliant fix. Bravo! I can't thank you enough.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply