Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dogma327  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:39:07 AM(UTC)
dogma327

Groups: Registered

I had an oven malfunction that I hope someone can diagnose, based on the following testimonial (this would be a second opinion):
Oven was set on “convection roast” @ 170 degrees (lowest possible temperature) with single pan on rack (position 2) of oven. 2 hours later I smell food burning and see smoke pouring out of the oven door vent. When I opened the oven, the food (beef roast) was smoking and burnt to a crisp and the broil element was glowing bright red, as if it had malfunctioned and was stuck on high. I checked the selector knob and it was still set on “convection roast” @170 degrees. I pulled the food from the oven and turned the hood on high power as the house filled with smoke. When I opened the oven door, the heating element should have automatically shut off (as noted in the manual p. 14 under Convection Roast instructions). It did not. I then hit the “cancel” button, and the element would not shut off. I hit “cancel” a second time then turned the selector knob to “reset” and again the oven and heating element would not turn off. The oven temp still reads 170 degrees on the digital display but my store-bought oven thermometer reads 500 degrees. I turned off the oven at the breaker box.
*What caused the oven to go from the lowest possible convection roast setting (170 degrees) to a smoking hot 500 degree oven with a glowing red broil element that would not shut off?
*According to the manual the “bake and broil elements will cycle on and off in intervals to maintain oven temperatures while the fan constantly circulates the hot air. If the oven door is opened during convection roasting the broil and bake elements and fan will turn off immediately”. Was there a malfunction in the zodiac control panel that:
1. Prevented the elements from turning off when the door was opened
2. Caused the broil element to stick on HI, burn the food, and create a fire hazard
3. Prevented the oven from shutting off when “cancel” button and “reset” knob were used
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.