Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
My_Bucket  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 11:30:20 AM(UTC)
My_Bucket

Groups: Registered

My oven door won't open. I realize it's the hinge. So I bought the new hinge and when I tried to install it. I noticed the hinge screws on inside the door. It appears I can't replace the hinge without opening the door. But how can I open the door with a broken hinge?

Help...
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

My_Bucket  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 11:33:55 AM(UTC)
My_Bucket

I made a mistake... It's not less than 1 year old... It's about 10 years old... Sorry
Joe / APP Team  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 12:02:05 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: My_Bucket Go to Quoted Post
My oven door won't open. I realize it's the hinge. So I bought the new hinge and when I tried to install it. I noticed the hinge screws on inside the door. It appears I can't replace the hinge without opening the door. But how can I open the door with a broken hinge?

Help...

Open the door VERY CAREFULLY,

Are you sure the hinge is broken ?

Or did the claw catch just come off the reciever pins inside the oven face frame ?

Or a broken reciever ( not likely)?

There are several versions of this style oven door hinge.

Some have catches on the hinge itself, some have 1/8' holes in the hinge, that you have to insert a nail or screw in to hold the hinge in a locked position, to remove the door assembly.

Basic procedure is :

Open the oven door to the full open position.

Insert pin in hole in hinge , or push clip on pivot point forward and lock into catch

Grasp and lift up on top of door(like if you were going to close the door) until claw on interior releases, from pin on reciever inside cabinet frame/wall.

Once you get the door off, if the hinge claw has come off pin and is not damaged, you can re position the claw, and seat pin or insert pin in hole and re install door assembly.

Insert claw(s) into recievers, press down slightly on top of door assembly, remove pins or release clips on pivot and slowly close the door, repeat several opennings and closings to insure claw has seated properly on reciever pin.

Good Luck,

:cool: :cool: :cool:
My_Bucket  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 12:14:28 PM(UTC)
My_Bucket

Thanks for the response, although I am not able to open the door anymore than two inches. I am almost positive that the hinge is broken. If you look at (p/n WB10T10007) the side of the hinge there is a little set screw that look like it screws into a brad. It's recessed too far in to access and it's not straight (like the other side). When I try to open the door any more than the two inches, I can see and feel the frame start to buckle.
Joe / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 1:31:54 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Thanks for the response, although I am not able to open the door anymore than two inches. I am almost positive that the hinge is broken. If you look at (p/n WB10T10007) the side of the hinge there is a little set screw that look like it screws into a brad. It's recessed too far in to access and it's not straight (like the other side). When I try to open the door any more than the two inches, I can see and feel the frame start to buckle.

Did someone fall on the door or something like that ?

Of course, you don't want to damage the oven front frame, It's not repairable / replaceable.

You may want to try to fight the claw off the reciever pin, by pulling up and twisting until the claw unsnaps off the pin,

Or you may want to try and drill out the damaged retainer pin in the hinge.

I've tried both methods and was successful, in the few times I've run into this.

My_Bucket  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:32:54 AM(UTC)
My_Bucket

Hey, that's a great idea! I should have thought about drilling out the hinge pin. I'll give it a try, thank you!
Joe / APP Team  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 5:01:59 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Hey, that's a great idea! I should have thought about drilling out the hinge pin. I'll give it a try, thank you!

OK,

Let us know how it went.

My_Bucket  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 7:56:32 AM(UTC)
My_Bucket

Well drilling the pin worked THANK YOU! Well it was a little more involved than just drilling the pin, but I was able to get it fixed... Thank you very much for your help.
Joe / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 10:13:12 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Well drilling the pin worked THANK YOU! Well it was a little more involved than just drilling the pin, but I was able to get it fixed... Thank you very much for your help.

You're quite welcome,

I had a feeling you could handle it.

Great job.

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply