Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PaulS2934  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 9, 2010 9:41:10 AM(UTC)
PaulS2934

Groups: Registered

I have a GE gas oven that I have converted from natural gas to LP gas. I replaced all burner orifices and turned down the oven and broiler orifices and flipped the regulator plug. The problem I am having is it seems the regulator is putting out too much gas, the flames in the oven are licking up the sides and the gas smell is staunch like it's not burning it properly could it be a computer board issue or regulator? OR? Please Help. Thanks, Paul
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 9, 2010 11:43:22 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PaulS2934 Go to Quoted Post
I have a GE gas oven that I have converted from natural gas to LP gas. I replaced all burner orifices and turned down the oven and broiler orifices and flipped the regulator plug. The problem I am having is it seems the regulator is putting out too much gas, the flames in the oven are licking up the sides and the gas smell is staunch like it's not burning it properly could it be a computer board issue or regulator? OR? Please Help. Thanks, Paul

Paul,

Are the top burners working properly ?

If you had a bad regulator, or did not convert the regulator properly, you'd have the same problem with the top burners as you do with the oven burner.

I've seen this happen on another brand of range, and you may want to check this ?

Remove the oven burner oriface and look inside the gas valve outlet and see if the LP pin is there(the pin looks like a 3 bladed arrowhead with a hole in the center).

If it's not there we will have to research the manufacturers parts screen and get you a LP oriface for the bake burner valve.

If it is there, check to make sure it's not bent,or clogged, you can try to pull it out a milimeter or two so that it seats on the inside of the oriface hood properly.

Drop us a line with what you find, or if you need more assistance.

Good Luck,

:) :) :)
PaulS2934  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2010 7:16:51 PM(UTC)
PaulS2934

Groups: Registered

I got your message earlier and before I did or do any adjusting or taking anything apart I wanted to let you know the top burner flames seem to be to high as well. I can turn the nob down and there is no change until it gets about 2/3 of the way to low. Thanks. Paul
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:44:25 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PaulS2934 Go to Quoted Post
I got your message earlier and before I did or do any adjusting or taking anything apart I wanted to let you know the top burner flames seem to be to high as well. I can turn the nob down and there is no change until it gets about 2/3 of the way to low. Thanks. Paul

Paul,

In most cases,

Flame size and characteristics do change with a conversion to LP gas, But not as much as you're describing.
(your top burners could be operating properly).

Basically, as long as the flame is "blue" in color, with no "yellow" or "orange " tipping you have the proper fuel / air mixture and acceptable pressure.

You would probably be best off having your LP gas company check your gas pressure at the inlet to the regulator (11 to 12 WCI maximum).

And operating pressure in the range (10 WCI) under a load (all burners on).

I would check for the LP pin in the bake valve first (per my previous post).

Good Luck,

:) :) :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply