Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rankell  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2008 11:38:56 AM(UTC)
rankell

Groups: Registered

My whirlpool oven does not always light. I can hear the igniter clicking, but will stop after 8-10 clicks and not light. If I prop the oven door open a crack the oven usually lights and relites. If the oven door is kept closed the oven will usually not light, but sometimes it will. If it does not light the oven continues trying to light after it shuts down for a minute or two to let the gas fumes out I guess. I had a repairman out at one time and all he said he could do was to replace the oxygen sensor or the igniter assembly but didn't know which would fix the problem. He asked for about $700.00 to replace parts that might not even be bad. How can I determine which part is bad?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2008 8:52:43 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

HOLY **** $700?????????
You can test those parts for continuity. The sensor is less than $100 and the ignitor is less than $60....
Do you use LP or natural gas? Have you had any adjustments made? How long has it been doing this?
I would check the pressure coming out of the valve into the oven to make sure it is correct, if not the regulator valve maybe your problem. Call your gas company for the pressure test. Also check your burner bar to see if it's dirty.
Nat
rankell  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2008 4:29:30 PM(UTC)
rankell

Groups: Registered

Thank you for the response. It has been going on now for a few years. One repairman did adjust the regulater, I think, to either get more oxygen or less. I can't remember now. We have natural gas. The next thing I will do is to check the pessure.

Thanks
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply