Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jne  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:09:42 PM(UTC)
jne

Groups: Registered

I have a GE electric double oven that is just a few months old.

I'm really struggling with the broiler. When I turn on the broiler, even on high, it barely seems to warm up. The broiler elements glow a dim red, but the food (pork chops, fish, etc.) doesn't really "broil" and I end up having to switch to bake or roast just to cook the food through.

Even after 10 minutes with the broiler on, the oven temperature (measured with an albeit cheap but usually pretty accurate oven thermometer) is only about 250 degrees.

GE repair came out and said if the elements glow even a little -- which they do -- all is good, regardless of whether it actually can cook anything. He refused to even discuss what temperature the oven should be when broiling. He suggested (but doubted) that my voltage may be low, but hasn't checked that yet (involves pulling out the oven -- a two repair person job). He's willing to repair the CPU/control panel, but doubts that will help. He claims all is working fine.

What do I do now? Do I go through the motions (get the panel replaced), but expect to be resigned to a sucky broiler?

In case it is relevant, with my cheap oven thermometer once again, bake temperature seems to be about 50 degrees low, but can be adjusted up most of the way (35 degrees) with control settings on the oven.

My previous oven (20 year old GE oven) would seriously cook things on broil in just a few minutes. I'm missing what I had...
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.