Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AllenH  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2010 9:04:36 PM(UTC)
AllenH

Groups: Registered

Good evening, I get an F9-3 code on the touchpad for the stove, and it says there is a problem with the upper latch, according to the technician notes that by some kind of miracle are still on the back of the range. This latch is a bit pricey, at $120, and it is 10 to 14 days away, according to the parts houses on the web. This problem occured when both the upper and lower ovens were off, and one burner on the range was on.

My question is:
What are the chances that this is not a problem with the latch mechanism or the 2 position sensors on it, and is a problem with the board.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
alhubbell@yahoo.com
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 2:09:10 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for MAYTAG MER6550BCW Freestanding - Double Oven - Electric | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is a manual
http://www.servicematters.com/maytag_library/docs/16010107.pdf

I am assuming that you have already removed power from the unit to see if it will reset.

[COLOR="Blue"]What are the chances that this is not a problem with the latch mechanism or the 2 position sensors on it, and is a problem with the board.[/COLOR]
There is always a possibility that there is a problem with the board itself.
Only way to tell is remove power from the unit, disconnect the plug going to the switches and check it with a meter. This way you will also be checking the wires going to the switch, could be you just have a bad connection.
If you find a fault then check the wires going to the switch.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
AllenH  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 6:36:55 AM(UTC)
AllenH

I will pull it out. Yes, I firstly tried disconnecting the power to get it to reset itself, I will take it out and test the wiring.
thanks
Allen
AllenH  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 9:23:48 AM(UTC)
AllenH

I took out the latch mechanism, so I could see the components, and saw that one of the switches was just exposed points, and when I tested it one of the contacts was not closing. I took it out to the shop, drilled out the rivets, bent the contact so it had a small amount of tension when it should be closed, re riveted it, put it all back together, and presto, I cheated the parts salesman out of a hundred bucks and the repairman out of a call, and best of all I got poached eggs..
denman  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 12:02:01 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Congrats on the repair, nothing like a little bit of jiggery pokery to save a few dollars.

If it messes up again odds are good that you could find a replacement switch at an electronics supply house.

And thanks for getting back to us. Now when others search for a similar problem they will see what actually worked instead of just suggestions about what could be the cause.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply