Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NWF  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2008 7:34:05 AM(UTC)
NWF

Groups: Registered

Hi, here's a good story for everybody....I bought a new water bath canner, on 2nd use somehow a hole burned through the bottom of it, leaked water onto the element and down into the stove top. I had turned my back and heard a ZZZZZZZZZZZTTTT sound of a major short. After I checked out the situation, found that the element melted through on the outside ring. What was more disturbing was that the breaker to the stove didn't throw when this happened. Got a new element, hooked it up, with breaker off of course, turned it back on and got some heat, not much, even on high. So, I thought maybe the terminals were on wrong, switched them, now nothing. I noticed that the wire on one side was pretty much out of it's connector, that goes underneath the ceramic block, so am wondering if it is just not getting a good connection. Is that it? What, exactly happens if one puts the wires on the element backwards? Switched the terminals back again, element works, but heats very slowly, takes about a minute or so to heat to high, but if I turn it down, the temp goes down drastically and won't heat at any of the other settings (med. high, med, low ), it acts like it is on the warm setting. Help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Drags1998  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2008 12:51:05 PM(UTC)
Drags1998

Groups: Senior Expert

You will need to replace the SWITCH for that S/Unit, When the burner shorted,It shorted the switch!!!! Just a word of WARNING, when you install the New Switch, MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE WIRES for L1 and L2 in the CORRECT PLACE!!!! If you don't you'll be replacing 2 switchs!!!!!! or MORE!!! The wires on the s/unit can go either way!!!!
NWF  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2008 12:11:32 AM(UTC)
NWF

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: Drags1998 Go to Quoted Post
You will need to replace the SWITCH for that S/Unit, When the burner shorted,It shorted the switch!!!! Just a word of WARNING, when you install the New Switch, MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE WIRES for L1 and L2 in the CORRECT PLACE!!!! If you don't you'll be replacing 2 switchs!!!!!! or MORE!!! The wires on the s/unit can go either way!!!!

Thanks Drags, I usually know better than to not mark wires, my really bad. Can you or anyone else give me instructions on how to change out the switch, or point me to a link that has instructions/illustrations to do this? I tried this site for just a regular diagram, but they don't have that.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2008 1:46:53 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You hold the new switch near the old one and change out the wires one by one from the old to the new.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply