Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kbiro  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 10:59:08 AM(UTC)
kbiro

Groups: Registered

The lower bake element in my Maytag Gemini Electric Range burnt out (literally blew up). I replaced the element which I purchased from Maytag. The element does not heat up. There is no electricity going to the element. Checked it with a multi-meter. Any idea what else may need to be replaced?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ApplianceJunk  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:38:55 PM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi,

I would guess you going to need to replace the oven control/clock.

This seems to be a on going problem with many maytag built ovens, not just the Gemini.

The bake elements "Blow-up" and take the oven control out too.

You could check to make sure it did not blow a house fuse, but if the burners on top the stove still get red hot then your 220-240Vac to the stove should be fine.
kbiro  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 9:48:41 AM(UTC)
kbiro

This is how I solved my problem. I rewired the lower oven in the following manner:

1) Reroute the wires leading to the upper broiler element, to the lower broiler element. Reroute from before the broiler high-limit switch. Needs an extra piece of wire which I scavenged from an old range at the local landfill. The wire has to be at least AWG 16 (I used AWG 14) and have a rating of 600V and 150˚ C. Make sure where the extra piece is joined is well insulated.
2) Reroute the wires leading to the upper bake element, to the lower bake element.
3) Swap the heat sensor wires between the upper oven and the lower oven. It is a simple plastic connector.
4) When I want to bake in the lower oven I press BAKE for the upper oven on the front panel.

Trust me, it works.

I went a step further and connected the wires that used to go to the lower broil, to the upper bake element. When I want to bake in the upper oven I press BROIL for the lower oven on the front panel. Make sure you set the desired temperature manually. Do not use AUTO SET.

The downside is that I cannot broil in the upper oven. A small price to pay for having a fully functional lower oven.

By the way, to replace the control/clock is anywhere from $220 to $300. This is on top of about $1000 worth of repairs already done on the range. Fortunately that was covered under an extended warranty.
ApplianceJunk  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 10:05:56 AM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Groups: Senior Expert

Quote:
Trust me, it works.

famous last words :)
kbiro  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:59:48 PM(UTC)
kbiro

Please give me one good reason why it should not work. If you are interested I shall update you in six months' time.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply