Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Richard Summer  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 5, 2008 7:57:35 AM(UTC)
Richard Summer

Groups: Registered

I have a Thermador gas oven/range model PRG304US. The oven behaves poorly when the weather is hot-the oven does not come up to or maintain temperature very well and the 2 left-side burners do not come on. The right side burners are not affected. In cool conditions it is just fine. Any suggestions here will be appreciated. Thanks, Richard
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Servicer  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 28, 2008 1:38:27 PM(UTC)
Servicer

Groups: Senior Expert

This range uses a glowbar, which needs to draw at least 3.2 amps before the valve can open to allow gas to enter the burner. If the voltage is too far below the recommended 120vac the glowbar can not draw the correct amount of current and, therefore, not allow the valve to open. I would recommend checking the voltage to the range when this is occurring.

Do you have A/C? If so, is it running when this problem is occurring? The A/C being on may be causing the voltage to dip. You may also have a problem with a floating neutral that can cause a power supply problem.
Richard Summer  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 9:32:50 AM(UTC)
Richard Summer

Thank you, Servicer, for your input. I am in Southern California- are you also, by chance? I would like to ask you a couple of additional questions if I may. Thanks, Richard
Servicer  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 9:41:43 AM(UTC)
Servicer

Hello,
I am also in SoCal, but I no longer work in the field. If you have some questions, list them in this forum and I'll answer them the best I can.

KC
Richard Summer  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 9:51:34 AM(UTC)
Richard Summer

Hello again. The problem can occur when I am not using my A/C. I can see that the problem may well be electrically related but I don't know why it happens only in hot weather. Why would I see, when temperatures are very extreme, that both left-side burners on BOTH units become inoperative-no gas flow, no ignition. Why just the left side on both? Thank you for your help , Richard
Servicer  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 11:57:52 AM(UTC)
Servicer

The exlo burners use a electronic board called a simmer control module. There are 3 wires that going into that board that come from the potentiometer. These are labeled POT 1, POT 2 and LINE -5V. If any or all of those wires have voltages that are a lot lower than the 120VAC that should be there then the XLO burners will not operate at all. I don't know the minimum it will work on, but, of the units I've seen with this problem, the voltages were around the lower 90's to 100's.
So, like your heating problem, this problem can also be voltage related. Now that summer's ending, it's going to be tougher to troubleshoot it, but if we get another heat spell, and the problem starts up again, you can unplug the range from it's current outlet and plug it into an outlet that's not giving any other devices a problem. If the range starts working then we know it's power related.
Do you have a multimeter? If so, you can check the outlet once this problem occurs.

KC
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply