Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tzimme  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:28:43 AM(UTC)
tzimme

Groups: Registered

I am trying to determine the cause of a problem with my oven. When the oven is turned on and the temperature is set, the oven preheats correctly (I have verified this with a test thermometer). However after the preset temp is reached the oven shuts off. The front panel continues to show the preset temperature but the actual temparature inside the oven begins to drop, the oven does not kick back on until the temperature has dropped about 150 degrees and then it kicks back on and maintains the lower temperature. The entire time this is happening the front panel of the oven continues to read the original temperature that was set. I am not sure if this is a thermostat or control panel problem. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 10:25:52 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tzimme Go to Quoted Post
I am trying to determine the cause of a problem with my oven. When the oven is turned on and the temperature is set, the oven preheats correctly (I have verified this with a test thermometer). However after the preset temp is reached the oven shuts off. The front panel continues to show the preset temperature but the actual temparature inside the oven begins to drop, the oven does not kick back on until the temperature has dropped about 150 degrees and then it kicks back on and maintains the lower temperature. The entire time this is happening the front panel of the oven continues to read the original temperature that was set. I am not sure if this is a thermostat or control panel problem. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

There are 2 components involved in the temperature control of your oven :

The oven temperature sensor(in the rear wall of the oven).

The ERC (range control) inside the control panel.

When you select a temperature on the control, you set a specific resistance
range in the control and the oven heats.

When the oven sensor reaches the same resistance as that in the control, the oven heat turns off.

The most common failure for this type complaint,

The temperature sensor in the oven has failed and needs to be replaced.

Oven temprerature sensor test.

If you have a multi meter, the resistance at room temperature(78 dgrs.) should be 1050 to 1100 ohms.

And the resistance at 210 dgrs(boiling water) should be 1350 to 1400 ohms.

Resistance at 350 dgrs should be 1650 to 1700 ohms.

I reccomend you test the resistance, but if you don't have a meter replace the oven temp sensor first.

Part number: AP4282440
Part number: AP4282440

Good luck,
:) :) :)
tzimme  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 3:00:44 PM(UTC)
tzimme

Thanks for all the help with the oven. Since the oven sensor was cheaper and I needed to pull out and dismantle the oven anyway (to test it) I decided to just replace it. After replacement the same problem continued. Your post stated that the other problem could be with the ERC board (and at this point I did not think anything else could be wrong) so I ordered the board. Since you guys have such a good return policy I figured that if it wasn't this (expensive) part, as long as I did not damage it, I could return it. After receiving the part I swapped out the old board with the new and found that the problem continued. So I put my old board back in and decided that since I now knew the ERC board and the sensor were not bad I should continue to troubleshoot. I put a meter on the wires that powered the elements and found that during the preheat cycle the power to the element would click on for 30 seconds then off for 30 seconds. After the oven hit the perheat temp the power would turn off to the elements and although the relays would audibly click every now and then, power was not going to the elements. I pulled the relay board and found that one of the soldered connections for the bake element relay was "fried". I returned the ERC and ordered the relay board. Last night I replaced the board and now the oven is working perfectly.

So it looks like the broil element is used in 30 second intervals to bring the oven up to temp and then shuts down during baking. This is why my oven was able to come up to temp but then not maintain it. I thought that the bottom element was heating up (a drop of oil on the bottom did produce smoke) but I guess the heat on the bottom was just a result of the broil element.

I wanted to let you guys know the root of my problem so you can add it to your vast knowledge and help someone else in the future. Without the help from this website I do not think I would have had the confidence to tackle the problem. Also, even with shipping your prices beat everyone. Thanks again. I will be using you for any appliance problems I have in the future. Let me know if you need any further clarification on the solution to my problem or if there is a problem with the returned ERC board.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 5:34:10 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tzimme Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for all the help with the oven. Since the oven sensor was cheaper and I needed to pull out and dismantle the oven anyway (to test it) I decided to just replace it. After replacement the same problem continued. Your post stated that the other problem could be with the ERC board (and at this point I did not think anything else could be wrong) so I ordered the board. Since you guys have such a good return policy I figured that if it wasn't this (expensive) part, as long as I did not damage it, I could return it. After receiving the part I swapped out the old board with the new and found that the problem continued. So I put my old board back in and decided that since I now knew the ERC board and the sensor were not bad I should continue to troubleshoot. I put a meter on the wires that powered the elements and found that during the preheat cycle the power to the element would click on for 30 seconds then off for 30 seconds. After the oven hit the perheat temp the power would turn off to the elements and although the relays would audibly click every now and then, power was not going to the elements. I pulled the relay board and found that one of the soldered connections for the bake element relay was "fried". I returned the ERC and ordered the relay board. Last night I replaced the board and now the oven is working perfectly.

So it looks like the broil element is used in 30 second intervals to bring the oven up to temp and then shuts down during baking. This is why my oven was able to come up to temp but then not maintain it. I thought that the bottom element was heating up (a drop of oil on the bottom did produce smoke) but I guess the heat on the bottom was just a result of the broil element.

I wanted to let you guys know the root of my problem so you can add it to your vast knowledge and help someone else in the future. Without the help from this website I do not think I would have had the confidence to tackle the problem. Also, even with shipping your prices beat everyone. Thanks again. I will be using you for any appliance problems I have in the future. Let me know if you need any further clarification on the solution to my problem or if there is a problem with the returned ERC board.

Thanks,

For the update,

I don't know how I could have missed the relay board problem ?

I'm glad you got it diagnosed and fixxed, and are happy with

AppliancePartspros.com's overall service.

Thanks Again,

:cool: :) :cool:
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 12, 2023 1:38:04 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
hello, the oven reaches the temperature I need and after 2 minutes it already drops by about 20F, so I can’t bake the dessert I need, because it needs strictly one temperature, not higher or lower, it falls and does not rise back, but on the screen the temperature that I indicated is written there, I only find out about the decrease when I press the panel and see it in my non-rising product. what could it be ?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply