Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KevinR  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 13, 2010 2:33:24 PM(UTC)
KevinR

Groups: Registered

My self cleaning over keeps getting a door failure. I think that it is the latch since I hear all kinds of clicks and pops. I bought a new latch and need to replace it. I cannot figure out how to get to the latch! I have removed the cooktop - no luck. Looks like it might be under the trim on the front of the oven. Took off all the screws including the two that seem to hold the latch. The trim does not come off! How do I get to the latch?

Once I do, the latch comes with a new wire diagram that shows what number wires go to what connections. How do I figure out the wire numbers? Can I trace them back somewhere to find out?

Thanks.:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 13, 2010 7:46:18 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Kevin,

You have to pull the range out of the wall. Remove the cooktop. Remove the left access panel from the range top. There are six mounting screws (four on top and two in front). All original wires should have numbers printed on them.

Gene.
KevinR  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 14, 2010 5:42:01 AM(UTC)
KevinR

For removing the cooktop do you mean the top which gets me to the burner parts, or do you mean remove the burner parts as well to get to the latch underneath? If I hired someone, how many hours does it take?

Thanks.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 15, 2010 2:29:14 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: KevinR Go to Quoted Post
...For removing the cooktop do you mean the top which gets me to the burner parts, or do you mean remove the burner parts as well to get to the latch underneath?...

...If I hired someone, how many hours does it take?...

1/ The second one.

2/ Depends on how he is familiar with Thermador products.

Gene.
KevinR  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 9:46:59 AM(UTC)
KevinR

1) Removed stuck venturi. Cut off top dremel and grinder disc. Replaced venturi and the gas valve that it was attached to. Total time 15 minutes.

2) Removed door latch. Turns out there is a screw plate right above the value. no removal of oven from the wall was needed. 10 minutes.

3) Labeled all wires prior to removing the old latch. Wires have microscopicc numbers on them. Made sure they matched the instructions. Good old Thermador, the instructions had wire 13/14 (two together), I had 13 and 15. I figures that they were the same and it would not blow up. 10 minutes.

4) Removed latch and put new latch in. Two of the wire connectors were the wrong size, and so I had to replace them with bigger connecctors. 1 hour including hardware store visit.

5) Got everything back together. Crap - now when the latch is locked it thinks it is open, and visa versa!!!!

6) Energized motor on latch from outside source. I hooked up an extension cord two two clips and moved the latch one turn. Still did not work and tried multiple variations including uninstalling latch etc. 2 hours.

7) Callled Thermador. The man said - oh the instructions are wrong! Wire 28 and 27 need to be reversed. Redid everthing, switched wires and not it all works.

This was not a hard repair. However it is rediculous that the instructions that Thermador has for its repair parts are wrong. Then again, given how often the unit breaks, it is not surprising.

Total cost if I had a repair person do it: $360 not including replacing the venturi (this is what I was quoted). Total parts $140 including venturi repair. I am pretty darn happy!
Gene  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 11:24:55 AM(UTC)
Gene

Kevin,

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing your repair with us. Your post was very informative and will help other people with similar problems.

Good luck with your range.

Gene.
KevinR  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 12:24:34 PM(UTC)
KevinR

Gene,

Thanks for your help on this one. I could not have done it without you.

Kevin
Gene  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 1:47:59 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome Kevin.

Gene.
mknhouston  
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2013 5:16:46 AM(UTC)
mknhouston

Thanks for this post. I had the exact same problem.
I had the older latch and tried to install the new one...all I got was a blank clock screen and beeping...that went on for a week while I tried different things. Finally I found this post.

Revelations:
- numbers on the wires...duh
- terminal connectors not right size
- wires switched on instructions

Solved in 30 min with this post.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply