Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chris_f  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:03:52 AM(UTC)
chris_f

Groups: Registered

My Kenmore Elite range started sparking like crazy from the rear of the Clock area this last weekend. After sparking for a few seconds it caught fire. After shutting power off to the unit I was able to take a look at the damage done.

The fire definitely came from an issue with the electronic over control (sears direct p#5304455004).

I really have two questions.

1. Should I spend the money to fix this stove, or once something like this happens is it better to just go replace. (Stove was $1700)

2. If I repair, it looks like I need some additional parts, but sears and the images they provide for ordering does not make it clear what all I need.

The electronic over control seems to have wires going to three places, all have been burned and will need replacing. But finding the part numbers for this has been a problem. First a cluster of wires going down into the oven part of the unit (I assume this is a master harness of some type?). Second and third are more like thin ribbon cables that seem to go to the front panel (I assume for control input and maybe stove top functions?) However I can not seem to find anything on how to order those cables.

Thanks for any help you all can provide!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2010 12:54:53 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
There are a few different electronic control boards and the control panel which have to be replaced besides the burned wires.

Looks like this repair (if you'll do it yourself) will cost you over $1000. I do not think it's worth it.

Gene.
chris_f  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:05:23 PM(UTC)
chris_f

After some more research and pulling things apart more I see that I need to replace the electronic oven control and the ribbon cable between the pane;l and the control. The issue... the ribbon cable for some stupid reason is build onto the panel. (The panel is about $350). Seems silly to have to replace a $250 part over a 25cents cable, but looks like that might be required unless anyone has a good idea. The panel looks like they sealed it after closing (I assume because of the touch screen glass display in front of it).

Hoping someone know as way to replace that cable, or knows a place I can send it to in order to have it done a little cheaper.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:12:06 PM(UTC)
Gene

Unfortunately such ribbon cables are not serviceable.

Gene.
chris_f  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:16:54 AM(UTC)
chris_f

Not the news I was hoping to hear.

But thank you for taking the time to assist.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:20:10 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome. Keep us posted.

Gene.
chris_f  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 13, 2010 6:26:38 AM(UTC)
chris_f

I am looking to see if I can find the parts at a lower cost than the sears direct prices. Most online sites I have found in google charge much more than sears direct (100's more for the items I am looking at). Does anyone know of a few good sites that may have used/referb unit that may be a little cheaper? It seems like these parts would be available after someone tosses there stove to get a new one.
DCcustomer  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 9, 2011 9:00:32 PM(UTC)
DCcustomer

We had the same exact fire incident with our 6yr Kenmore Elite Dual Fuel range. The model # is 79079389402. Based on the model #, it was made by Frigidaire, which is now owned by Electrolux. Sears had basically ignored our or the first two calls until I stated very firmly that I would take the issue with consumer protection agencies and consider a lawsuit. Finally got connected with a Sears' claims services contracting company, and they opened a claim with Electrolux. Contacted Electrolux and now waiting for one of their adjusters to schedule an appointment. I will definitely follow the advice in these posts to contact CPSC. Everyone with this situation must contact CPSC. Electrolux contact info: Electrolux North America, Inc., 20445 Emerald Parkway SW, Suite 250, PO Box 35920, Cleveland, OH 44135-0920. Phone: 216-898-1800. Fax: 216-898-1800
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply