Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
oclark  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2010 6:00:09 PM(UTC)
oclark

Groups: Registered

I'm about to replace the flat-style igniter on my Magic Chef oven. The original igniter is much longer than the replacement part. The old one is about 4 inches longer than the new one. the difference is the ceramic part. In the old design the ceramic extends all the way through the back wall of the oven, protecting the wires. If I install the new one, the wires will be exposed inside the oven. Is that ok? The oven is a self-cleaning model, and gets quite hot during the cleaning cycle. The ceramic wouldn't keep the wires cooler, but it seems more elegant, at least, to have them encased in ceramic within the oven.
Thanks!
Clark
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:36:30 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
If you look at part no. 9 of this parts diagram, then look at the description. It says that the kit includes parts necessary to replace longer igniters. Basically its a metal plate and some insulation to seal up the hole from the old igniter. I hope that helps.
oclark  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:40:08 AM(UTC)
oclark

Groups: Registered

Yes, thanks! I understand how the kit fits. The new plate has a chamfered hole for the wires to go through, etc. I was wondering, though, about the advisability of exposing the wires to the heat of a self-cleaning oven. Somebody has more faith in the temperature resistance of the wires' insulation than I do!
Clark
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:58:02 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: oclark Go to Quoted Post
Yes, thanks! I understand how the kit fits. The new plate has a chamfered hole for the wires to go through, etc. I was wondering, though, about the advisability of exposing the wires to the heat of a self-cleaning oven. Somebody has more faith in the temperature resistance of the wires' insulation than I do!
Clark

I've replaced more than a few of these and never had a problem. It should be just fine.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply