Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
suranmo  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2010 1:32:09 PM(UTC)
suranmo

Groups: Registered

The oven on my Hotpoint oven doesn't come on. I checked the continuity through the oven valve and I have continuity. I used a clamp ampere and checked the amps on the igniter. It was 2.1 amps so I changed the igniter. Still have only 2.1 amps through the igniter. The paper that came with stove says the continuity of the valve is 1.5 ohms. I have continuity with 0 ohms resistance. Could it be a faulty oven thermistat not allowing the proper amps. I don't want to change the valve and find it is the thermostat or vice versa. Any way tot check either one of the components? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2010 3:26:14 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You may want to check for 120 VAC to the oven igniter while the oven thermostat calls for heat. Post the results.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for General Electric RGB528GER3 Gas range | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
suranmo  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2010 5:32:05 AM(UTC)
suranmo

Groups: Registered

I check the voltage at the igniter and it was 118.5. Still only getting 2.1 amps at the igniter.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:02:56 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: suranmo Go to Quoted Post
I check the voltage at the igniter and it was 118.5. Still only getting 2.1 amps at the igniter.

All round igniters (Carborundum) operate from 2.5 to 3.0 amps. 2.1 amps is not enough to open the gas valve. The igniter has to be replaced. Whoever sold it to you has to exchange it under the parts warranty. If they will refuse to exchange it, you can order the new igniter from Appliance Parts Pros.

- The oven igniter Part number: AP2014008
Part number: AP2014008

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply