Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
harrymckee  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2008 11:49:48 AM(UTC)
harrymckee

Groups: Registered

i have a kenmore double oven, bottom oven works fine, but top oven is very slow to heat up (it just took 45 minutes to hit 400, now i'm trying to get it to 500 but its been going for 30 mintues and is only up to 430). sometimes the temp just flucuates up and down between around 250-300 and won't get any hotter. i've swapped out the "bake element" and the "sensor assembly" with the parts from the bottom oven to no avail. top oven bake element does not get red hot. something like a relay switch clicks on and off every minute or two, but its always done that. not sure which parts to try swapping out next, any help would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2008 12:01:33 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

Does your upper broil element come on?
They usually come on to get them up to temp. The sensor is the same part nujmber for upper & lower ovens, but the elemtns are a little different
Nat
harrymckee  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2008 2:35:09 PM(UTC)
harrymckee

okay, now that you mentioned it, i've now learned the difference between the "bake" element and the "broil" element, and what a swapped was the broil element, which of course i didn't test because i didn't know that's what it was...i will now swap the "bake" elements and see how that works. the "broil" element did not get red hot however. oh, and the bake & broil elements and the sensor have identical part numbers for top & bottom in my parts diagram.
harrymckee  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 6:41:57 AM(UTC)
harrymckee

well duh, i feel like an idiot now. one of the connectors on the 2 wires going to the "bake" coil in the top oven is completely melted, as is the spade terminal on the bake coil itself, so it looks like i'll need a new bake coil and spade connector. but the big question is, why did this happen? the oven was in use for over 2 years before this happened. is this just one of those things that happen occasionally or is this a cause for major concern? i don't want to plug a new bake coil in and watch it go up in smoke too. thanks for your help!
libertyappl  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 7:03:07 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

Yes it does occassionally happen that way. Could have been a spike in the electrical current that caused it. But it's a pretty easy fix and if it does it again you know where to start looking :) .
Hope this helps
Nat
harrymckee  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 7:10:10 AM(UTC)
harrymckee

thanks for your help nat. there is enough of the spade terminal left on the old coil for me to get a connector onto it with a good connection. is this okay to try or is it possible that there was some sort of short in the bake coil itself that caused this problem? if it's just not worth messing with it, its no problem to get a new one, they are only $69, but if you think its okay to try it then i'll do that. while the spade terminal is blackened and half melted, the coil itself and the wire going into the coil look just fine. thanks again.
libertyappl  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 6:21:43 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

If you have a ohm meter to check for continuity and it tests ok then you might be able to use it. Just sand the spade down a little to get most of the charing off and should should be ok at least for a while.
If there's no continuity get a new one. Did you check here on the price?
harrymckee  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 6:52:23 PM(UTC)
harrymckee

continuity checks out okay. i will give it a shot. is there a test i can run to see if i can make the spade termail melt again? run it up to 550 degrees for an hour or something? my model #911.49033100 unfortunately does not show up in the model number search here. below is the link on the sears site, and its part number 251 in their list, so if you have the part here just send me the link, thanks as always.

KENMORE | Model #91149033100 | ELECTRIC BUILT-IN DOUBLE OVEN | UPPER BODY | SearsPartsDirect.com from Sears
libertyappl  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 6:57:40 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

I'd just clean the spade the best you can and use it, go ahead and order the other element when you can so you'll have it. part number AP3793599
Nat
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply