Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tracy1878  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2010 2:35:35 PM(UTC)
tracy1878

Groups: Registered

I'm having trouble with an oven I recently inherited from my deceased mother in law. All 4 burners work and the broiler element works as well, but no heat can be felt at all in the bottom element. My husband pulled the back off and checked for fuses (we had that problem once in our old stove) and found no fuses period, let alone any that were blown. He followed the wires that connect to the bottom element and they both seem to be fine (especially after he shocked himself). The element itself seems to be in good condition, not broken and no burned spots visible on it. I do know that my mother in law rarely used it for anything besides TV dinners and a holding area for pans.

On a side note, this oven was not stored in a good manner. Where it was stored was damp, however we are unable to see any corrosion of wires and the display seems to be working correctly.

It is our plan to hope that our local appliance repair shop can check the element that we currently have to see if it's the problem before we replace what could conceivably be a perfectly sound element. Does this sound like we are taking the correct actions? Is there anything else you would suggest? Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

tracy1878  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2010 2:40:21 PM(UTC)
tracy1878

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention the are no error codes showing up on the display
Gene  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2010 5:00:40 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
There are only two parts which could be blamed: the heating element and the control board.

If you do have a simple ohmmeter, check the heating element for continuity. If there is no continuity, replace the heating element. If the reading is correct, replace the control board.

If you need the correct part number for the control board, post the color of the key pad.

- The Bake element Part number: AP3606277
tracy1878  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 24, 2010 7:38:02 AM(UTC)
tracy1878

thanks for the quick reply. I had the element checked out (no ohm meter at home) and they informed me that the element was fine. So that leaves me with no other alternative but to replace the control panel. Is it possible to removed the control panel and have it checked before we drop the $ on a non returnable part?
tracy1878  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 24, 2010 7:39:23 AM(UTC)
tracy1878

also, is it difficult to replace the panel on your own? My husband is concerned it may be above his expertise
Gene  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 24, 2010 1:48:50 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: tracy1878 Go to Quoted Post
...Is it possible to removed the control panel and have it checked before we drop the $ on a non returnable part?...

I do not think it is possible to check the control board instrumentally and I do not see any reason to do it. If the heating element is fine, there is nothing else left.

If you will order the part from Appliance Parts Pros, it is returnable even after it was installed due to their very friendly return policy.

This part is not too difficult to replace yourself. Pull the range out of the wall, remove the rear panel and it's all yours.:)

What is the color of the key pad?

Gene.
tracy1878  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2010 7:44:56 AM(UTC)
tracy1878

Thanks Gene again for the help. The panel is black. I'm glad to hear of the friendly return policy, I found one company with an extremely low price, yet a google search tells me that it isn't a company I'm comfortable doing business with.
Gene  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2010 4:46:07 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome.

The control board with the black overlay Part number: AP3861853
Part number: AP3861853

Keep us posted.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply