Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
alpha_mare  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:14:35 AM(UTC)
alpha_mare

Groups: Registered

Hi, I have a GE/Hotpoint Electric oven that has worked great for about 15 years or more. A burner started sparking and so I replaced all the burner plugs, but didn't do the switches. One switch must be bad because the burner light is on all the time even though the burner is switched off. We disconnected the wires to that burner and capped them.

Then, one of my boys used the oven and promptly informed me that I should throw my stove away because the oven wasnt getting hot enough. Iopened the door and a three inch segment of the bake element had broken off and there was white powder on the door and floor of the oven.

I'm not worried about putting in a new bake element (this is a self cleaning oven and is old). Working on this stove has not been hard so far and it still looks new.

What do I need to worry about replacing, just the element or is it a sign of a bigger problem? Should I replace the burner element on the effected burner when I replace the switch? Most of the plug-ins were very loose or cracked beforeI replaced them.

Thanks for any help you can give. I'm really poor and I can't afford a new stove. I've had this one since new.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2010 2:03:33 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Pull the range out of the wall. Remove the rear panel. Remove the wires from the Bake element and check for 240 VAC between these wires while the control calls for Bake.

If there is proper voltage, replace the Bake element and it should be good.

If the voltage is incorrect, most likely the control board got damaged by the shorted Bake element and has to be replaced as well.

Regarding the surface burner problem, I believe that the new switch will fix it.

- The Bake element Part number: AP2030964
Part number: AP2030964

- The control board Part number: AP2025090
Part number: AP2025090

You have to order the overlay for the control board because it's glued on. If you need the correct part number for the overlay, post the color of it.

There are two different infinite switches used in this range and the part number depends on the size of the burner.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for General Electric RB757BC2WH Electric range | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
alpha_mare  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2010 8:33:21 PM(UTC)
alpha_mare

Groups: Registered

Thanks, Gene. I hope I don't need all that. Hopefully its just the element. Thanks on the switch info. Once the chaos stops, I want
to get all new burner elements. I just can't afford them right now. But after what happened to my bake element, its definitely moved up on the list.

Thanks on the burner, its the 8". I imagine with it being selfcleaning, the bake elements do go bad with that high heat.

After all this (I replaced the sealon the oven door too) my stove will be brand new!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply