Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
drtdog99  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:01:42 AM(UTC)
drtdog99

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Spectra oven and the bottom element isn't working. The stovetop and broiler work fine. When I pulled the oven out and looked at the back of it where the wires connect to the bottom element, the yellow wire appears to have shorted. It was burned where it connected to the element and the clamp that holds it to the element had fused to the element. I'm not great with electronics so what action do I need to take to fix what might have been the problem that caused this?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

drtdog99  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2010 6:24:57 PM(UTC)
drtdog99

Any thoughts anyone?
Rzilient  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 8:25:17 PM(UTC)
Rzilient

drtdog99, this is one of those times where a pic would be worth a 1000 words. So let me start with: did the yellow wire have a glass-weave material around it? Most ignitors have them and some all the out near the ends; others are only 2 to 4 " from the ceramic end. Since a short occurred, that normally, kills one half of the gas valve. Further, in replacing the ignitors, especially with the glass-weave material the wires do not bend much and if the wire nuts are not fully on very-tight over the twisted-pair, the wires will sometimes bend right at wire-nut edge, and if a sheet metal edge is near. the wires may touch the edge and short. Additionally, wires that are not protected with the glass-weave tubing material can degrade near hot spots but you would have noted that since the wire will look ugly over a few inches near a section that's black and bare. Since the clamp describes is not clear (my need-for-photo comment)l however, routing ignitor wires covered in the heat resistant glass material should protect them from oven high Temp and clamp pressure until you reach the oven back, where heat is not an issue. Using longer ceramic wire nuts should assure 1/4" or more space from twisted, bare wires to avoid metal edge contact. Hope this help and you're back-on the-air by Thursday...Rz
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply