Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tonyvol  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2010 6:02:07 PM(UTC)
tonyvol

Groups: Registered

I think the Magnetron went south on my microwave/oven combo. It's a KitchenAid model Model KEMC308KSS0 . When I turn the microwave on there is burnt wire smell and there is no heat being generated. I try a test from a previous post that suggest to put the microwave in defrost mode and if you hear the microwave click over to the high voltage side, then the magnetron is bad. Does that sound right? Also, I found a magnetron that has the same numbers on it as the one I have. It has 2M167B-M16, but it has a different part no.(Part number: W10245183
Part number: W10245183
) that the repair sites say will fit. Is that the right one? Can I go by the 2M167B-M16 number?

Thanks,
Tony
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

tonyvol  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:33:44 AM(UTC)
tonyvol

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: tonyvol Go to Quoted Post
I think the Magnetron went south on my microwave/oven combo. It's a KitchenAid model Model KEMC308KSS0 . When I turn the microwave on there is burnt wire smell and there is no heat being generated. I try a test from a previous post that suggest to put the microwave in defrost mode and if you hear the microwave click over to the high voltage side, then the magnetron is bad. Does that sound right? Also, I found a magnetron that has the same numbers on it as the one I have. It has 2M167B-M16, but it has a different part no.(W10245183) that the repair sites say will fit. Is that the right one? Can I go by the 2M167B-M16 number?

Thanks,
Tony

The magnetron in my microwave has a sticker on it that has 2M167B-M16 on it. I found another magnetron that has same number on the sticker, but is a different part no. Does anyone know what 2M167B-M16 means?
The one in my microwave is suppose to use part no. Part number: 4375424
Part number: 4375424
, which is $265. The one I found is part no. Part number: W10245183
Part number: W10245183
, is about $70. Please help...

Thanks,
Tony
Gene  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2011 4:56:19 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Tony,

Sorry we missed your question and it's probably too late for you, but it can be used by other people having the same problem.

A "burned wire smell" could come not only from the magnetron. It also could come from the high voltage diode and high voltage transformer. All these parts can be tested with an ohmmeter. The instructions are attached to the reply.

The part number 2M167B-M16 is the real manufacturer part number because ALL magnetrons for our household microwaves are made in Korea. Whirlpool, among other microwave manufacturers, just buy and resell them, using their own part numbers. That means you definitely can use the magnetron you found.

Gene.
P.S. APP customer service always can help to find best possible price for any magnetron.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply