Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
darter  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 7:20:31 AM(UTC)
darter

Groups: Registered

Hello,

(Please read until end of post because it started working mid-post!)

1)
My model number from the tag is JVM1410BC001. The symptoms are that nearly everything appears to work except the actual "cooking" function. So the timer counts down and the door light turns on and off as expected when I shut the door. But if I try to cook - when I hit "Popcorn" for example I can hear (I think) an initial relay "clink" followed by a second "click" and then silence and no cooking action. To investigate this I half released the keypad/circuit board section so that that section could hang down a bit but I could still press the buttons. I jiggled the door switches thinking that maybe they were not registering "closed" - but maybe that is of no concern because the light seems to respond to the door closing okay.

2) As mentioned, when I went to try this again the microwave is now working. I don't think I really "did" anything to fix it. But now I would like to know what part may be failing so I can replace it. Maybe this is a good time to rule out some suspect parts so that when it does fail I will have information to use.

Thanks - this looks like a great forum.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

darter  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 14, 2009 1:22:53 PM(UTC)
darter

The problem has now changed to this: the microwave works normally except that now if I am not cooking and open the door to put food in the microwave "turns on" while the door is open. By that I mean that the loud fan that normally comes on inside the cooking area comes on and the turntable begins rotating and the light is on - when the door is open! I was worried that actual microwaves were being produced but a cup of water was not heated so I think that no radiation is being produced. Other than this my microwave works normally and I can cook a meal fine. Is this a switch or the logic on the circuit board or what? Thanks. I would like to buy the right part for the repair.
gpedens  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 14, 2009 6:14:33 PM(UTC)
gpedens

What you are describing can be very dangerous. Hope you or anyone in your household are not wearing a pacemaker. Messing with the door adjustment or the magnetron can cause unacceptable microwave leakage. The high voltage section puts out about 2000 volts and more than enough current to kill you (500ma to about 2000ma). About 40ma can kill. Microwaves can damage you before you realize it. If I were you I wouldnt use that microwave until it is fixed properly. With the door open and the fan and motor running, if it were putting out microwaves they might just be going out the open door and not heating inside the oven. The door is there to reflect the microwaves back in.

It sounds like you messed something up the switch adjustment when you removed the keypad. Did you disconnect some wiring to dangle the keypad. Or it could have been one or 2 of the screws you moved allowed one of the sitches to get misaligned. You need to find your wiring diagram. A lot of microwaves will have a copy of it taped to the cover or housing inside the microwave. You may have reconnected a wire to the wrong terminal on one of the door switches. There are usually about 3 of them. They usually have 3 terminals but may use only 2.

From your description, it sounds like you put a wire back on a wrong terminal. But puting back the way it was might make it not work again like it was before. You need a microwave leakage detector or have someone check it for leakage if moving the keypad moved any of the switches or the tightness of the door latch.

Your original problem was probably a sticking relay or switch. Of which replacement usually requires messing with the door adjustment. Which can lead to unacceptable and even dangerous leakage.
gpedens  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 14, 2009 7:42:48 PM(UTC)
gpedens

darter  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 14, 2009 9:26:51 PM(UTC)
darter

I didn't disconnect any wires so nothing is mixed up but I think a relay on the main board is sticking. I'd like to just test or replace the relay and I am wondering which relay might be the culprit. I could use a schematic.
gpedens  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 15, 2009 3:16:26 AM(UTC)
gpedens

A lot of microwaves will have a schematic inside the cover. It could be the relay, a door switch,the high voltage transformer, high voltage diode, or the magnetron. Typically if its the transformer or the magnetron , the cost of either is usually not much less than a new oven. The relay can sometimes mean replacing the circuit board which is a high cost item.

CAUTION CAPACITOR MAY HAVE LETHAL CHARGE (Clik on the 2 links above i sent you to find how to safely short the capacitor terminals)

To test the relay, unplug the oven, remove the cover, discharge the high voltage capacitor, and disconnect the wires from 2 terminals at the 120 volt ac side of the high voltage transformer. Set your volt meter to read 120 VAC and connect the voltmeter leads to the wires you disconnected. Make sure the bare ends of the wire connectors dont touch each other or ground. I usually use a couple of sheets of folded notebook paper to keep the leads separated and from other metal parts of the cabinet. Now plug the microwave back to the 120vac source, put a cup of water in the oven, and start it up. If you see nominal 120 VAC on the meter your keypad and relay is working. If no 120 vac then the relay or something on the keypad has failed.

unplug your microwave and disconnect your meter and reconnect the wires. I noticed that you didnt check the door switches for continuity or change of state with door opened or closed. there is usually 3 switches. some may have 3 terminals but use only 2, so look very close before remove a wire from the switch so you can get back on the right terminal. you usually only need to unplug the wires from one switch terminal to check it with your ohm meter. typically the top and bottom switches are closed with the door closed and open with the door open. the center switch is open with door closed and closed with door open. It is the one that usually trips the breaker if the door is open and the fan and turn table are running. Which didnt happen in your case.
gpedens  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 15, 2009 3:30:09 AM(UTC)
gpedens

forgot to mention that GE has a 800 number you can call and give them the model and they will send you a copy of the wiring diagram. I just dont remember what it is. I usually do a web search until i find it.
darter  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2009 5:33:23 PM(UTC)
darter

Thank you for all the info. I believe all 3 of my switches behave : closed when door closed, then open. So maybe that is the problem? But all three swictches are functioning as tested by my VOM. Now I don't think I had removed any wires before the problems occurred but you info about the middle switch makes me wonder if I changed something. I am going to go back and check but I believe my plugs prevent the wires from being reconnected backwards. I better check on that. Now here is a last note: my complaint is that the fan and light run when the door is open (not the magnetron though) but this problem can be remedied if I pull the wires from the top switch and replace it - as I've done - with a switch that leads outside the cabinet. I can thenm switch off the fan/light manually. I'm thinking this indicates a board problem since the microwave switch is opening and closing properly, so that only leaves the board as a suspect. I ordered a used board of Craig's list and it will be here in a week.
gpedens  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 2:41:51 AM(UTC)
gpedens

Darter, I dont have your wiring diagram. My comments are for a typical MW oven. Yours may be different or have 4 or 5 switches at the door latch. Did you find a wiring diagram inside the cover? Did you try lifting the wires to the HV transformer and see if the board was suppling 120 VAC to the HV transformer?
darter  
#10 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 11:46:10 AM(UTC)
darter

Hi - what cover might I look under? I don't see any diagram so far. I didn't check for voltage from the board because when i fool the switch witht he door closed the food cooks properly.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply