Fried wire at interlock switch
Model Number: JMC8130DDS Brand:
5 - 10 years
My microwave stopped working but the lights and control board all worked. After doing some research it looked like I had a bad interlock switch. Gaining access to the switches was actually quite easy. I tested the 3 switches on the right side and they were all good. Went to the left side and noticed that one of the wires to that switch was fried. Insulation was burnt and wire very overheated. I then tested the switch and it was ok.
After finding that all the switches were fine I decided to connect the two wires together as this switch seems to be redundant if even unnecessary. The microwave works just fine.
QUESTIONS: Do I really need to have these wired to the switch or is it okay to bi-pass? If I use the switch, where can I find a new connector to splice onto the existing wire as I am unable (thus far) to extract the old connector from inside the plastic casing? Most importantly, anyone know why this wire would have overheated? This is a low voltage switch and shouldn't have burnt up.