Appliance Repair Forum

Appliance Repair Forum (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/)
-   Microwave Repair (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/microwave-repair/)
-   -   Whirlpool Microwave Started Smoking (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/microwave-repair/544168-whirlpool-microwave-started-smoking.html)

mharnisch 01-15-2014 01:48 PM

Whirlpool Microwave Started Smoking
 
Tonight I was heating a couple microwave frozen dishes and all of a sudden smoke started pouring out of the top of the microwave. The oven continued to run so I immediately turned it off and unplugged it. It smelled like an electrical problem. I checked inside the oven and there was nothing else inside that would cause a problem. Has anyone else had this problem? We have had the oven for only a few years and have not had any previous trouble with it. Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

mharnisch 01-19-2014 01:38 PM

Additional Info Whirlpool Oven Started Smoking
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mharnisch (Post 844288)
Tonight I was heating a couple microwave frozen dishes and all of a sudden smoke started pouring out of the top of the microwave. The oven continued to run so I immediately turned it off and unplugged it. It smelled like an electrical problem. I checked inside the oven and there was nothing else inside that would cause a problem. Has anyone else had this problem? We have had the oven for only a few years and have not had any previous trouble with it. Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Today I took the cover off and found that the black plastic part of the thermostat located on top of the unit had melted. Don't know why this would happen. When I removed the food, the inside of the oven did not feel like it had overheated. Does anyone have any thought on this or have you experienced this problem?

Rob Perin 02-01-2014 09:33 PM

Whirlpool Microwave
 
I just experienced a similar problem. Haven't taken it apart yet.

mharnisch 02-02-2014 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Perin (Post 845956)
I just experienced a similar problem. Haven't taken it apart yet.

My problem was with the part called the hi limit thermostat. It apparently shorted out and the plastic part of it melted which is what caused the smoke. I replaced it and it is working fine now. when you remove the outer cover, you will see the part on the top of the inner cabinet. There will be two black wires connected to one side of the part and a single black wire connected to the other side. If the plastic part of the thermostat is melted, that is your problem. Let me know what you find.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17