Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
markkenny  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:45:22 AM(UTC)
markkenny

Groups: Registered

The unit does not always work. I replaced the upper door switch which had melted slightly with some success. When I manually move the door, the unit works. This seems to be related to the door switches or the 3rd switch inside the assembly which I think is a safety feature. When I remove the display and expose the switch assembly, loosen the two screws and make minor position changes, this works too. Thoughts?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:13:22 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: markkenny Go to Quoted Post
The unit does not always work. I replaced the upper door switch which had melted slightly with some success. When I manually move the door, the unit works. This seems to be related to the door switches or the 3rd switch inside the assembly which I think is a safety feature. When I remove the display and expose the switch assembly, loosen the two screws and make minor position changes, this works too. Thoughts?

Markkenny, First check the door and hinges, make sure the issue isn't due to a loose , misaligned door. Then replace the board Latch assembly

Part number: AP3792146

and check the door micro switches.Also check the front flange screw holes for the latch assembly, make sure they're not stripped or elongated,etc. and allowing the latch assembly to shift in position. You may want to purchase new screws and "star" washers from the local home improvement center, to insure the assembly stays fixed in position.
markkenny  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 9:04:00 AM(UTC)
markkenny

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Markkenny, First check the door and hinges, make sure the issue isn't due to a loose , misaligned door. Then replace the board Latch assembly

and check the door micro switches.Also check the front flange screw holes for the latch assembly, make sure they're not stripped or elongated,etc. and allowing the latch assembly to shift in position. You may want to purchase new screws and "star" washers from the local home improvement center, to insure the assembly stays fixed in position.

Thank you for this. I dissembled the display and got down to the switches only to find the switch I replaced had too suffered some heat damage (short). I do not know how as it is only a lower voltage switch. Since it was not as bad as the first time, I opened the switch and cleaned the contacts and connecting wire tab. Latch assembly looked fine as did lower two switches. Reassembled and not convection oven appears to be working, but not the microwave. Wondering if I mis-matched the only two wire harnesses which are not orientation specific.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:03:09 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Thank you for this. I dissembled the display and got down to the switches only to find the switch I replaced had too suffered some heat damage (short). I do not know how as it is only a lower voltage switch. Since it was not as bad as the first time, I opened the switch and cleaned the contacts and connecting wire tab. Latch assembly looked fine as did lower two switches. Reassembled and not convection oven appears to be working, but not the microwave. Wondering if I mis-matched the only two wire harnesses which are not orientation specific.

Mark, Yes, improperly wiring the switches could present the partial operation of the microwave. It could also be a faulty switch contact as well. Recheck the monitor switch(the middle switch)circuit and wires to make sure the switch opens and closes properly.
markkenny  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 4:31:35 AM(UTC)
markkenny

Hi Joe,

Thank you for all your help. I checked all the switches again and went through the wiring. After switching the two relay harnesses, all systems were a go! Not sure why the top switch is heating up, but it could be the result of some funk that built up on the connector. Lets see what happens. Thanks again.
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 5:55:06 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Hi Joe,

Thank you for all your help. I checked all the switches again and went through the wiring. After switching the two relay harnesses, all systems were a go! Not sure why the top switch is heating up, but it could be the result of some funk that built up on the connector. Lets see what happens. Thanks again.

Mark, Great, glad you're up and running. Something to remember: always mark or label the wires and connectors when dismantling a product or component, it's a lot easier to reassemble if you do. You may want to order a new door switch, and have it ready should there be another failure.
Thanks Again
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply