Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kenneth Seibold  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 2:00:30 PM(UTC)
Kenneth Seibold

Groups: Registered

My Whirlpool over the range microwave stopped heating foods. All else seems fine with the unit. I tested the door switches and found that the lower switch was 0 ohms when door open and infinity when door shut - the opposite of the upper switch, which was 0 ohms when door shut, as I expected. Does that mean the lower switch is bad? Can a switch "change polarity" like that? Also, can I test to see if the problem is the lower switch by hooking it all back up such that the lower switch doesn't get pressed in when the door it shut, thus making both switches at 0 ohm resistance when door is shut?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 2:56:24 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

The switch has marks at the contacts.
C-common, NO-normally open, NC-normally closed.
Check them accordingly.
Please be more specific on what are the symptoms.
Does the m/w comes on at all, lights, turn table?
Does it sound normal or it's humming?

Simon.
Kenneth Seibold  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:26:20 AM(UTC)
Kenneth Seibold

I tested using the only 2 terminals on the switch - COM and NO - and when the switch was depressed (door closed), the resistance was infinity. When it was not depressed and the door was open, the resistance was 0. I suspect that is opposite from what should happen?

The microwave is working just fine except it does not heat foods. It does not make any irregular sounds. Lights, clock and control panel work.
Simon / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:03:01 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

Did you take one wire off the switch while testing?
Please double check the mark on the switch. Are you sure it's NO not NC (before replacing that switch)?
The NO means there is no continuity when the switch is not engaged.
If you feel OK to do the life test remove the plug from the PRIMARY winding of the hi-voltage transformer and start the MW.
You should read 120VAC across the plug.If the proper voltage is present - most likely you have the bad magnetron.

Part number: W10216360
Part number: W10216360

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Interior and Ventilation parts for Whirlpool WMH2175XVQ1 - AppliancePartsPros.com

Use the attached link to test the hi-voltage components.

Simon.
File Attachment(s):
Kenneth Seibold  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:28:12 AM(UTC)
Kenneth Seibold

I completely removed the switches to test them. Both terminals were disconnected from any wires when I tested. For the lower switch that I think is the problem, I am sure the terminal is the NO terminal. There is no terminal at the NC label - only one at the NO label. I do know that the switches acted differently, for sure. One had continuity when switch was depressed, and the other (the lower switch) had continuity when the switch was not depressed. I have the lower switch with me now (at work). I am not 100 percent what was the terminal on the upper switch - NO or NC - but I imagine it was NO.

I am not good with electrical stuff. I do not feel very comfortable testing much other than the switches, or replacing something that obviously looks broken. The microwave is only 3 yrs old and cost me about $330. If its not a switch issue, I'll probably buy a whole new microwave.

Can't I test to see if the lower switch was the problem simply by bypassing it and connecting the 2 wires together? Or by connecting the wires to the switch and keeping it unmounted so there is continuity at that switch even when the door is shut? I can't hurt anything doing that, as long as the door is shut, can I? If both switches allow continuity with the door shut, and I heat water, I would think all I need to do is replace the lower switch.
Simon / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:12:32 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Yes, you can bypass that switch temporarily.
First unplug the unit, put the cup of water inside, close the door, bypass the switch, plug in the cord.
Start the MW.
If you open or close the door while the MW is plugged in the fuse may blow.
Find the door switches if you 'll need them in the diagram I've posted previously.

Simon.
Kenneth Seibold  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:23:19 AM(UTC)
Kenneth Seibold

Thanks. I intend to try the test.

The problem I now have though, is in the diagram. From the diagram, I cannot tell which switch in the diagram is my lower switch. If I look at the individual part pics, it would seem part 18 is the one most like my lower switch, but in the big diagram, it has 2 terminals coming out one end, unlike my switch which has one terminal on top, and one on the end. Part 8 looks like the upper door switch and I did not see another switch while working on it, although there is a part 7 switch which has 3 terminals in the individual pic - not like either of my 2 door switches. Is there a way to tell which switch is upper and which is lower in the diagram? My lower switch has 2 terminals, one at COM and one at NO, coming out the side farther from the actuator, while the label NC is closer to the actuator but has no terminal.

I know my 2 door switches are slightly different in appearance. It appears one may have a terminal at NC and the other at NO, which would mean they SHOULD act differently, which is what my two switches do. Let me ask this, when the door is shut, should the switches BOTH have continuity (0 ohms) - or is it possible one should have continuity and the other no continuity?
Kenneth Seibold  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:37:26 PM(UTC)
Kenneth Seibold

I see another Whirlpool diagram that is very similar to mine.
https://www.whirlpool.com/digita...List%20-%20W10346969.pdf

This diagram has part number SZM-V16-FC-63 in the diagram as part 19 pretty much where part 18 was in the diagram for my microwave model. My lower switch part does have SZM-V16-FC-63 marked on it, so now I know the part I am looking for. But, I am still curious if it truly should have continuity when actuator is not depressed.
Kenneth Seibold  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:12:19 PM(UTC)
Kenneth Seibold

I do appreciate your help, and I don't want to be a pain, but I have more to add. I found a manual from Sears that discussed a Kenmore model that is very similar to mine. On page 24, it has detailed info on the 3 switches, and discussed the NO terminals on part SZM-V16-FC-63, and says the switches should be at 0 ohms when actuator is depressed (door closed).
http://www.appliancefactorypart...ontent/pdfs/130524-8.pdf

Unless they used FC-63 in an unusual (incorrect) way in my microwave, it seems it should be 0 ohm but they are not. I guess I will try my test and see what happens.
Simon / APP Team  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:32:18 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi, Kenneth.

I'll explain this again.Please pay attention.

With the door open:

C to NO - no continuity
C to NC - continuity

With door closed:

C to NO - continuity
C to NC - open.

If you get the switch with 3 contacts you can always brake off the one you don't need or just ignore it.

Good luck.

Simon.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply