Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ddcpe  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 9:18:34 AM(UTC)
ddcpe

Groups: Registered

I bought this as-is at Ikea (whirlpool makes it for them) and was told all the parts were there...of course not. So I have found the mounting plate on-line and now need to figure out what the two 1/4x20x3"+/- screws go into on the top of the box (cabinet wrapper W10269453 or W10210836). These screws hold the front half of the unit up in combination with the wall mounting bracket that holds the back half up. Simple enough concept but when I put the screws down in the two square punched holes in the wrapper there is nothing there, ie: no female threads for the screws to mate with.

So what is supposed to be there? The boneheads at Whirlpool and Ikea can't tell me. All they say is what is needed comes with the attachment hardware package (1/4x20 screws, 1/4x20 toggles. washers, sheet metal screws, power supply cord bushing). It certainly can not be the toggle nuts as a 1/4x20 toggle is much larger than the ~11/32" square hole in the top of the wrapper, and everything else is obviously not for this purpose. The installation instructions do not indicate anything either, just the 1/4x20 screws going down through the bottom of the cabinet box above and magically mating with something in the top of the microwave. From my research I am thinking it might be missing some cage nut inserts. Any info/guidance would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 11:27:32 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

You are definitely missing square nuts in those openings in the wrapper. They should be pressed in.
See if you can use large washers and regular shape nuts instead.

Post the results.

Simon.
ddcpe  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 12:02:55 PM(UTC)
ddcpe

Originally Posted by: Simon / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Hi.

You are definitely missing square nuts in those openings in the wrapper. They should be pressed in.

Post the results.

Simon.

So I am correct in that there should be something like a cage nut pressed into that hole from the factory. I can't use washers and a nut at this point as the inside of the wrapper is not accessible without disassembling the unit, and even then, what will keep the nut and washer in place?

Thanks
Simon / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 1:35:24 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Wouldn't you have an access to the holes from inside if you remove the front grill?

Simon.
ddcpe  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:58:19 AM(UTC)
ddcpe

Originally Posted by: Simon / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Hi.

Post the results.

Simon.

I got some 1/4x20 cage nuts and they don't come close to fitting in the holes so now what? Attached are some pictures that I hope further explain my predicament.[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
ddcpe attached the following image(s):
IMG_0327 resize 2.jpg
IMG_0332 resize.jpg
Simon / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:08:54 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Can you drill the holes closer to the front, take the grill off, reach in and put heavy duty washer and the nut on the screw?

Simon.
ddcpe  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:41:11 AM(UTC)
ddcpe

If I can't figure out what kind of nut or threaded insert is supposed to be there and put that in then I will be forced to do something along the lines you suggest. Thanks again.
Simon / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:17:28 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Good luck.

Simon.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply