Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
M W  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 19, 2009 6:43:13 AM(UTC)
M W

Groups: Registered

Third time in three months key panel is out. Each time is when the power to the house goes out. First time I did it to fix another appliance. Next time a storm, and last night an unknown reason power out in area. But each time the micro goes down and does not power back up. Just gives me the F3 and beep. No keypad response. So I know how to fix micro now, but is this some fault of this unit or what? It can't be normal for this appliance to fail like this when the power goes out. NONE of my other appliances does it. My GE range right below it powers back up fine, keypad responsive. Any suggestions or enlightenment would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

glen65  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:44:52 AM(UTC)
glen65

Groups: Senior Expert

The first thing you need to do here is to test the outlet
to make sure the ground is OK. You can use a volt meter
or an inexpensive tester that looks something like this one.

UserPostedImage
M W  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:14:44 AM(UTC)
M W

Did it. It tests fine. In July I turned off the kitchen power to repair the disposal. Turned it back on after repair and micro would not reboot. Got jibberish on the screen and then F3 code. Replaced touch key pad. Friday night, power outage in neighborhood, off for about 5 minutes. Came back on, everything fine except micro again....same deal. F3. Is there something else in the micro or is there something I can do to keep this from happening? Thanks for any help you can offer.
magician59  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2009 10:34:19 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

Surge protectors!
These days, virtually all of our convenience and entertainment appliances have very expensive circuit boards in them. They are increasingly more sensitive to power surges (and lows). Either protect the individual appliances with their own plug-in protectors (not power strips--they're ineffective), or consult your electrician about installing whole-house protection at your service panel. The average cost for a two hundred amp surge protection in my area is between $200-$300.
M W  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2009 10:38:33 AM(UTC)
M W

Thank you. That is I guess what I'm after. I will get a single appliance protector now (power went out again today so had I repaired this it would have blown again) then look into the whole house protector. I just wanted to see if I needed to pursue GE (right!!!) if their micro was faulty. Or check to see if there was another part in the micro that might need replacement since the first blow out....
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply