Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bill00466  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2012 10:30:11 AM(UTC)
bill00466

Groups: Registered

Set the timer on the microwave(MCO) and walked away. Came back a few minutes later and the keypad on the MCO was off. Checked the socket, it had power. Got an extension cord and tried another, verified good, outlet. Still dead. Keypad, light, fan all dead. I start reading the manual and went on the internet to trouble shoot. My wife called GE. They said it sounded like a blown fuse, figured I could handle that. Tried to access the fuse, actually fuses, there are (2) that i have identified, via the front fan louver, but didn't want to accidentialy drop them inside the machine, so I took it down and began opening it. Found a trouble shooting diagram and printed circuit board schematic. The trouble shooting flowchart is as follows, with my actions and questions. Thank you in advance for you help/feedback.

Checked power to socket. confirmed power.......

unpluged MCO and check (2) fuses with volt meter, both okay. Is there another fuse somewhere else?..........

check if there is voltage at SWITCHING MODE POWER SUPPLY(SMPS) on printed circuit board(PCB). I have schematic of PCB but do not see anything labeled SMPS.

How can I identified the SMPS. How do How do I test for voltage at the SMPS?...........

If there is voltage at the SMPS, the next step will be to replace the PCB. I did read of a similar senario on another site and the expert feedback was replacement of the PCB. ...................

If there is no voltage at the SMPS, I am to check the thermal cut out(s). Is a thermal cut out just a thermostat? I see multiple thermostats on this MCO. Do they all need to be checked or is just one of them the TCO. The paper work with the troubleshooting chart I found inside the MCO, talks ablout a TCO in the roof of MCO, near the exhaust vent.

Based on your answer, I will need to check one or all of them to see if they are open or closed. How do I check to determine if a TCO is open or closed. If it is open, I am to replace it. If it is closed I am to check or repair the TCO wire.

Again, thanks in advance for any help or guidance you can provide. Any questions, let me know.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.