Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vetski179  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 4:35:59 PM(UTC)
vetski179

Groups: Registered

Boy, do I feel lucky and stupid all at the same time! First, I love my built in Advantium. I’ve had it since 2004. It sat in its box for a couple years before it was installed in our new house a little over 3 years ago. Works great, except the interior light went out within a month of it being installed. I haven’t bothered to fix it until today.
I might’ve royally fixed it!
I found a step by step on-line on how to get at the bulb (which is why I didn’t fix 3 years ago. Couldn’t figure out how to get to it!). Anyway, had the burned-out bulb in hand and noticed it looked a lot like a halogen bulb that came out of a car I had. The local hardware store didn’t have a new bulb. Even though the interior light hasn’t worked in 3 years, I just had to get it fixed TODAY! Long story short, put the car bulb in the socket of the Advatium interior light and opened the door! BAM!!! It blew up like a flash bulb! I’m lucky here because the bulb literally blew into a million pieces and flew about the kitchen! Amazingly, nothing entered my un-protected eyes, which were 1 foot in front of the explosion!
As I thought of what I’d done, I’m sure it’s the fact that the car bulb was 12 volt and the oven bulb is 120! Anyway, I feel like a complete turd because, after I came to my senses, I realized a fan was running in the oven. I thought I’d accidentally hit the fan button on the control panel, but no, this is another fan. It’s behind and above the control panel on the right side of the unit, and can be seen with the panel that is removed for getting at the bulb. There is a small gauge white wire and a small gauge yellow wire going to it. Anyway, I removed the control panel. I feared the voltage spike that may’ve shot through the system caused something to fuse together, thus making the fan stay on. I found many wire sets that plug into the control panel. At the bottom, there is a white plug that contains 6 wires: Black, pink, 2 yellows, dark gray, and red. If this plug is unplugged from the board, the fan goes off. My thought is the printed circuit board this plugs into got partially fried. It seems, however, to not have totally given up the ghost, because the oven still seems to work fine. Just whatever controls that fan is haywire. Anyway, I hope this makes a good story on how to get the right part and avoid any jruy rigging! In the meantime, I hope you can point me to a fix. I do notice via www.appliancepartspros.com that the bulb is available for $3.96 and that circuit board is available too. At $123.32, I hope it’s something else, but maybe the hole in my wallet will teach me to be patient.
Any thoughts on what I messed up on the fan control and how to shut it off? Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.