Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bc9ltjj  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:00:41 PM(UTC)
bc9ltjj

Groups: Registered

:confused: The oven just stopped working. No power, no display on console. Changed one fuse (15 amp ceramic fuse). Power came back on but as soon as I pushed button to heat, the fuse is blown again. What is the next step? Thank you for your help.
kawfeeman  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2007 4:17:34 AM(UTC)
kawfeeman

Groups: Senior Expert

should use a multimeter to check HV Cap and also ohm out the mag tube as a short in the mag tub will do the same ...
bc9ltjj  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2007 6:30:28 AM(UTC)
bc9ltjj

Thank you for your reply. I am a novice in electronics so I am not quite sure what I need to do to test. Do I need to remove the unit from the wall to do the testing or to replace the parts? MicrowaveDisplaycom seems quite sure the problem is from HV capacitor. If so, is this a good bet to replace it and see if it corrects the problem? What I mean, what is the chance of Mag tube being defective?
pcfucci  
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2008 8:45:19 AM(UTC)
pcfucci

I have a very similar problem. When I push the start button, the fuse blows as soon as it begins to draw high power, which is about 2 seconds after I push start. I have a multimeter, but not exaclty sure how to test the capacitor. Once I remove the two leads and touch the multimeter leads to the capacitor, what am I looking for to determine if it is bad? The microwave is about 10 yrs old.

Pete
agdi4xx  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:40:13 PM(UTC)
agdi4xx

Check monitor sw which is NC if faulty replace. If ok change Mag/diode. :)
agdi4xx  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:44:17 PM(UTC)
agdi4xx

Check monitor sw which is NC if faulty replace. If ok change Mag/diode. :) And by the way disregard the other persons comment about chking the CAP you hardly ever need to change. The cap. is a Hi-voltage piece be sure you discharge it correctly or it can really hurt. (40,000 vlts)
agdi4xx  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:44:57 PM(UTC)
agdi4xx

Check monitor sw which is NC if faulty replace. If ok change Mag/diode. :) And by the way disregard the other persons comment about chking the CAP you hardly ever need to change. The cap. is a Hi-voltage piece be sure you discharge it correctly or it can really hurt. (40,000 vlts)
abadfish66  
#18 Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2008 7:05:14 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

agdixx, you don't sound very familiar with how a microwave works. Yes a monitor switch will cause a fuse to blow, but a bad monitor switch will blow a fuse when you close the door.....In rare cases a magtube can blow a fuse, but in my 10 years I have yet to see a magtube do this... After 2 seconds of hitting start that is when the high voltage side of the Microwave is activated, a shorted capacitor (which is not that rare) will kill the fuse as soon as the high voltage side is activated...2-3 seconds from hitting start. The transformer if shorted will trip the house breaker A BAD CAP WILL BLOW THE FUSE and is NOT that rare. Most the time after 2 seconds of start up, a bad cap will make a loud buzz just prior to the fuse going out.
agdi4xx  
#19 Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2008 8:19:49 PM(UTC)
agdi4xx

Originally Posted by: abadfish66 Go to Quoted Post
agdixx, you don't sound very familiar with how a microwave works. Yes a monitor switch will cause a fuse to blow, but a bad monitor switch will blow a fuse when you close the door.....In rare cases a magtube can blow a fuse, but in my 10 years I have yet to see a magtube do this... After 2 seconds of hitting start that is when the high voltage side of the Microwave is activated, a shorted capacitor (which is not that rare) will kill the fuse as soon as the high voltage side is activated...2-3 seconds from hitting start. The transformer if shorted will trip the house breaker A BAD CAP WILL BLOW THE FUSE and is NOT that rare. Most the time after 2 seconds of start up, a bad cap will make a loud buzz just prior to the fuse going out.

Wow, 10 years thats empressive. I repair over 200 OTR microwaves a month. Ive had a monitor sw trip a breaker before. As for a shorted capacitor havent really had one blow a fuse. But Ive had a faulty diode cause this problem. And thats enough to mess up a Mag. The buzz sound comes from a Mag because of a bad diode.:eek:
abadfish66  
#20 Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2008 10:58:40 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Originally Posted by: agdi4xx Go to Quoted Post
Wow, 10 years thats empressive. I repair over 200 OTR microwaves a month. Ive had a monitor sw trip a breaker before. As for a shorted capacitor havent really had one blow a fuse. But Ive had a faulty diode cause this problem. And thats enough to mess up a Mag. The buzz sound comes from a Mag because of a bad diode.:eek:

How can you sit there and say you have never seen a shorted cap blow a fuse:confused: and a faulty diode cause a fuse to blow:confused: So tell me what happens when a cap shorts, curious? and show me a diode that takes out the fuse when it goes bad, and I will buy you a beer. How does a monitor switch trip the house breaker unless the fuse to begin with is oversized, or they have a weak breaker. Based on your previous posts, you have taken everything I have learned about microwaves in my 10 years and thrown it out the window. Amazing
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply