Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
unregistered  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2011 11:16:52 PM(UTC)
unregistered

Groups: Registered

As soon as I push START it pop very loud, way louder than popcorn, but the same type of sound pattern.

Any ideas where to start?

This is an over the range unit.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 4, 2011 3:17:46 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: unregistered Go to Quoted Post
As soon as I push START it pop very loud, way louder than popcorn, but the same type of sound pattern.

Any ideas where to start?

This is an over the range unit.

You have to have an ohmmeter to perform the troubleshooting. Let us know when you ready.

Gene.
unregistered  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2011 8:04:39 AM(UTC)
unregistered

I found my owners manual/paperwork and found no mention of a ten year warranty for the magnetron.:mad:

There is quite a bit of activity in the kitchen today so, I will not be allowed to work on this for now. This is an over the range(ceramic) so I think I will be moving the range out of the way first thing. I have several gages. Cheap radio shack to much more expensive Fieldpiece HVAC gage that checks MFD for run and start capacitors. I noticed there is another thread on this page or the next with some specifics on magnetron testing(I believe it was a GE unit). Would I be correct in assuming the test procedure would be the same with this Whirlpool?

Thanks for your replies.
casey2131  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 10:49:33 AM(UTC)
casey2131

I had the same thing happen to me. It sound like a piece of glass breaking. It was very loud. Now when I use it has a loud hum and doesn't heat right.
The guy that responded earlier was on the right track about them having a 10 year warranty. Mine is a Frigidaire. I called them and they said it did indeed have a 10 year warranty on it.
But for them to honor the warranty you'll have to have a Factory authorized Service center do the work. I got a guy to come out and fix mine for 75 bucks.
So either way they got yeah, either pay for the magnetron or pay for the service but you'll still have to pay eather way.
If you have the receipt you may be able to bring it back to the store you bought it from if it does repairs, and they may cover the repair cost (labor) as well as the magnetron. I know Sears does. Good luck
Gene  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 12:34:09 PM(UTC)
Gene

...Would I be correct in assuming the test procedure would be the same with this Whirlpool?...

Yes, it is pretty similar.

Gene.
unregistered  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2011 11:04:59 AM(UTC)
unregistered

I fixed this Saturday, finally. Around $48 shiped from Appliance Parts Pros. It was a lot of work. The magnetron is in the upper right hand corner. Getting to it involves taking the unit down. Taking the bottom cover. back cover, then the sides/top(one piece) off. Not the easiest appliance repair I have ever done.$48 beats $250 for a new one. The really ship fast. Must have an arrangement with FedEx.
Gene  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2011 5:44:15 PM(UTC)
Gene

I'm glad you were able to fix it. Good job!

Thank you for the feed back.

Gene.
unregistered  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2011 6:15:09 PM(UTC)
unregistered

We had company over and the wife stated that I FINALLY fixed the microwave. My buddy said "what was wrong with it". I told him it was the magnetron and what a pain in the butt it was to fix.

He said "how did you figure out what was wrong" I said Appliancepartspros.com.

Thanks for keeping this board up.
Adam / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2011 8:47:45 AM(UTC)
Adam / APP Team

Groups: Administrators

We had company over and the wife stated that I FINALLY fixed the microwave. My buddy said "what was wrong with it". I told him it was the magnetron and what a pain in the butt it was to fix.

He said "how did you figure out what was wrong" I said Appliancepartspros.com.

Thanks for keeping this board up.

Its always nice to hear when someone has been successful in such a difficult repair.

Many thanks goes to the volunteer technicians on the forum and the AppliancePartsPros.com staff.

Without them a successful forum would not be possible.

We are always looking to improve so thanks for taking the time in giving the positive feedback.

We will be here if you need any assistance in the future.

Thank you for choosing AppliancePartsPros.com.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply