Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bettye  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2007 9:28:13 AM(UTC)
bettye

Groups: Registered

My husband was reheating some food and heard a loud pow and the microwave was gone. Later that day I also noticed my microwave downstairs, as I do daycare downstairs, was also not functioning in any capacity. Would a power surge have caused this and would there be any specific part that may have blown?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Admin / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2007 1:29:27 PM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Groups:

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
First, I'd like to mention that a microwave has a component called a high voltage capacitor. This component may store electricity even if the microwave is unplugged. If you do not know how to properly discharge a capacitor, do not attempt any repairs or troubleshooting of your microwave.

Quote:
heard a loud pow and the microwave was gone
This usually indicates that the rectifier (or diode) has failed and needs to be replaced. It is recommended to replace the capacitor whenever the rectifier is being replaced.

- Rectifier (diode)
- Capacitor (if you decide to replace it as well)

As for your other microwave, provide more details and the model number. Maybe the circuit breaker is tripped and the microwave is not getting any power. Try a different power outlet.

Hope this helps.
bettye  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2007 4:05:31 PM(UTC)
bettye

The circuit breaker was not tripped and microwave would not operate anywhere. Does a microwave have a circuit board? My husband had to replace the circuit board on our garage board because the door kept going up and down on its own. He thinks maybe that may be what is wrong with the microwave. I followed the links for the capacitor and the diode which look like they will run about $100 to replace. Thanks for that input, but could you tell me if the microwave has a circuit board?
destrux  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 4:17:07 PM(UTC)
destrux

Thanks, I found this thread through google and it helped me fix my Emerson that blew up. The diode was blown.

No circuit boards were needed. :rolleyes:
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply