Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jgdaggs  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 6:31:36 AM(UTC)
jgdaggs

Groups: Registered

Hello All - can anyone advice on how difficult it is to replacement the magenetron tube? Thanks very much...

-JG
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 7:15:56 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

You have to remove the outer cabinet cover from the microwave oven. On the right side (as you face the front of the appliance), you'll see the magnetron. It is very promenant; almost as large as the power transformer. It's held in place by four screws or nuts. Two wires connect to the filament (usually as one connector).

[COLOR="Red"]Be very careful to discharge the capacitor after you unplug the machine. The voltage it stores can very seriously hurt you (it is lethal)[/COLOR].

Be very careful in handling the new magnetron: Don't bang the antenna or filter end against any part of the cabinet, as you position the component.

One more thing: What symptom or symptoms led you to the decision to replace your magnetron?
jgdaggs  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 7:47:15 AM(UTC)
jgdaggs

Thanks very much for the quick reply and now I am wondering if I should call a technician based on your comment in red. Hmmmmmmmm.
Symptoms are:will not heat up, but still runs. However when running it will sometimes completely turn-off and then reset itself.

P.s - I can have the tube sent from GE for free based on the waranty.

Thanks again.
magician59  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 8:15:38 AM(UTC)
magician59

There are some tests that you can make (if you are comfortable with using a meter; and working near live circuits) to determine whether the problem is truly the magnetron.
neogara  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:36:09 PM(UTC)
neogara

How do you check a magnetron if it is a good, besides it has no continuity between two pins and metal case, has continuity between two pins no bad odor, no any type of damage( eletrical, or physical), no internal short, but stil make a loud sound. If a loud sound only is a negative factor here and the rest of functions perform normal, how to determine, if a magnetron cheks OK? I cheked a h.v. diode, h.v. capcitos, h.v. transformer, magnetron thermistor, cavity thermistor and no indication of faulty components in a high voltage area ov a microwave oven....Microvave oven still doesn't heat at all, only loud sound.
magician59  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 5:09:54 PM(UTC)
magician59

Look at the magnets attached to it. Look all around them and make sure they don't have any cracks or fissures that can disrupt the magnetic field. The loud sound you heard may just be a dying transformer. Would you describe it as a growling sound?
neogara  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 7:48:30 PM(UTC)
neogara

Thank you for your reply!...Magnetron magnets are in good shape, no cracks, or anything abnormal. Yes, oven makes a very loud sound, as you described. Is it defective transformer? What exatctly is a couse of that loud noise? Please, tell me! Thanks a lot!
stewbeans  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 5:13:09 PM(UTC)
stewbeans

Yes I have the same issue. I just replaced my capacitor and diode and still the same issue. Web says maybe tranformer or magnatron ?

Originally Posted by: neogara Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for your reply!...Magnetron magnets are in good shape, no cracks, or anything abnormal. Yes, oven makes a very loud sound, as you described. Is it defective transformer? What exatctly is a couse of that loud noise? Please, tell me! Thanks a lot!
neogara  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:33:38 PM(UTC)
neogara

...The problem is, neater magnetron, nor high voltage (h.v.) transformer don't have any abvious infication of being partially eletrically mulfunction. That it what makes it hard to determine exactly without costly replacement a mgnetron, or h.v.transformer. In my practice, I have seen both: magnetron and transformer were replaced, when unit will not heat and made a loud noise, with no obvious faulty components.
What is a solution here? Does anybody knows??? Any suggestion to narrow down a guess work would greatly apreciate it! Thank you!
neogara  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:39:46 PM(UTC)
neogara

Originally Posted by: magician59 Go to Quoted Post
There are some tests that you can make (if you are comfortable with using a meter; and working near live circuits) to determine whether the problem is truly the magnetron.

...What exactly would you suggest??? What tests should be done/ Thank you!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply