Discuss

GE Microwave - Runs, no heat?

in

Microwave Repair

. "

Hi all, new to the forums. I have a Ge Microwave (shame on me, no model # with me right

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Microwave Repair » GE Microwave - Runs, no heat?

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 05:43 AM

7upedition is on a distinguished road
Smile GE Microwave - Runs, no heat?
Brand: GE   Age: 1 - 5 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Hi all, new to the forums.

I have a Ge Microwave (shame on me, no model # with me right now) but the unit functions properly, with the exception that it does not heat food.

I suspect the magnetron is not working? When I measured the resistance between filament terminals i have 7ohms. I read it should be less that 1 ohm. The magentron is an LG 2M246 050GF.

Is this true? Is the magnetron bad? Are these known bad units?

The capacitor tested ok, and I don't suspect the transformer because eveything else functions.

Thanks in advance

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 12-08-2010, 05:44 PM

nrowe46 is on a distinguished road

I have a Ge Microwave It is a GE WES13S84SM2SS
Serial TM922492Mbut the unit functions properly, with the exception that it does not heat food. Light lights timer counts down.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:01 PM

neogara is on a distinguished road

...yes, you have a defective magnetron. It shouldn't read 7 Ohm between leads. Replace it. before you do that, check a h.v. diode also.Good luck!
Old 12-23-2010, 07:21 AM

nrowe46 is on a distinguished road

Need a special screw driver to open it up. Does anyone know what it is called? Seems to be a central point with a star around it.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:57 PM

neogara is on a distinguished road
Default microwave will not heat

...I am not sure how it calls, but I call it a "star" srew driver tip. Manufactures LOVE to do that. A reason, so less handy man get into a microware repair business, or do it yourself projects.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:39 PM

jjpeters1100@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road

They are called tamper proof torx. Same as a regular torx but with a stud in the middle. You can purchase the correct tools at most tool stores.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.