Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Robak  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 4, 2010 10:07:02 AM(UTC)
Robak

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Profile Spacemaker Microwave oven model number JVM 1490BD, made in 2002.
Recently it has been making a grinding sound lately when the door is closed. It stops as soon as the door is open. It is not coming from the spinning glass tray. It seems to come from the upper right. I think I remember seeing a fan back in there but it appeared to be turning. The microwave cooks food still, but I believe it is cooking hotter than normal. Perhaps there is a fan that draws heat/steam out of the unit? It has revereted from a continual problem to an intermittent problem, but I want to fix it.

Also, I am not sure if it is related, but it doesnt seem to draw smoke and such from the stovetop like it use to. (This started happening way before the grinding noise). It has vent fans on the bottom that are supposed to suck the smoke up and send it through the vent out the roof. If I cook bacon on the stove, the kitchen smokes up even with the vent fans on high. I placed a small piece of toilet tissue to see if it was sucked against the fan grate, it has only a slight pull. This is supposed to have a charcoal mesh filter, but when I check to see if they were clogged, I saw no filter. I was going to get around and check the exhaust pipe on the roof and make sure it is not clogged with a squirrel's nest or something.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 4, 2010 1:36:42 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You have to remove the microwave from the cabinet and check the vent motor (#1258 on the diagram).

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Unit parts & base replacement parts for General Electric JVM1490BD002 Counter top microwave | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
Robak  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2010 5:04:51 AM(UTC)
Robak

Thanks Gene, those links are very helpful.
Looks like the motor is part #1422. What do I look for exactly, a certain voltage on it, or that it turns smoothly? I am pretty sure it turns the fan #1421, at least it did one time when it was making that noise.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2010 12:23:14 PM(UTC)
Gene

Possible there are two separate problems.

Quote:
...it has been making a grinding sound lately when the door is closed...

This problem can be related to the cooling fan motor (#1422).

Quote:
...If I cook bacon on the stove, the kitchen smokes up even with the vent fans on high...

This problem is related to the vent motor (#1258).

Such noise issue has nothing to do with voltage. It can be a bad motor bearings, loose or touching something fan blade or blower wheel.

Gene.
Robak  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 22, 2010 12:13:30 PM(UTC)
Robak

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Possible there are two separate problems.

This problem can be related to the cooling fan motor (#1422).

[/color]

Can you elaborate on the function of the cooling fan motor, besides the obvious fact that it is probably related to cooling.
Thanks,
Roger
Gene  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 22, 2010 3:52:00 PM(UTC)
Gene

Roger,

The cooling fan cools down the magnetron while the microwave is ON.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply