Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dfoltice  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2008 5:18:58 AM(UTC)
dfoltice

Groups: Registered

I have a Quasar microwave (can't find the model # but took a guess based on an old post from Nov 2007) that was heating water on a 3 minute cycle, but when the cycle ended, the exhaust fan came on and all control buttons and lights went dead. The exhaust fan continues to run and can only be stopped by unplugging the main power cord. Am I looking at something simple like a blown internal fuse, or worse? I'll be removing the unit tonight and would appreciate any tips I can get on what to immediatley look for.
dfoltice attached the following image(s):
DSCF0532.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2008 5:32:02 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

You model number should be on the frame of the microwave after you open the door.
Nat
dfoltice  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2008 5:44:02 AM(UTC)
dfoltice

Thanks Nat,

It is a model MQSV115E, manufactured in June 1992. It's old but has been a great oven and I would prefer to repair it if possible and cost effective.

Any tips on what to look for?

Doug
libertyappl  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2008 6:22:29 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

My guess would be that the moisture/steam is getting into the control board causing it to shutdown. You might also want to check any bare wires inside the unit. Causing a short.
This brand is not one we are accustomed to working on as parts are not available from our normal suppliers. So these suggestions are just that, an semi-educated guess ;o)

Nat
dfoltice  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:08:36 AM(UTC)
dfoltice

Nat,

Thanks for the info. I'll crack the case this evening and see what I can find that's obvious.

Doug
v2k04  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:25:35 AM(UTC)
v2k04

Kinda sounds like the cavity thermal closed from to much heat which kicks on the blower motor to cool it down. The thermal should be restable probably by freezing it. The thermals are usually located in the control panel area. or on top of the unit behind the grill. sometimes there are two of them One is normally closed and one is normally open until to much heat gets in that area then it closes and puts power to the fan motor. Sometimes they are resetable sometimes they need replaced depending on the thermal You can tell if its restable because it will have two temp ratings on the thermal one temp when it closes and one temp when it's open. Thats my guess
dfoltice  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:32:03 AM(UTC)
dfoltice

v2k04,

Thanks for that tip. When I pull it out and open it up tonight I'll definitely check the thermal contacts.
Moose Knuckle  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 4:43:50 PM(UTC)
Moose Knuckle

What if this same unit runs, then stops while the timer keeps going? I open the door, let it sit for 10 seconds then it starts again. Sometimes it will just restart on it's own. Is this a contact issue as well?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply