Discuss

Whirlpool Microwave does not work gives "door" error

in

Microwave Repair

. "

Many of these models have what I call a "grossly overdesigned" door sense circuit. First, locate the technical sheet (mini

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Microwave Repair » Whirlpool Microwave does not work gives "door" error

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Member.

MicrowaveDisplaycom is on a distinguished road

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Many of these models have what I call a "grossly overdesigned" door sense circuit.

First, locate the technical sheet (mini manual) inside your unit. It's usually hidden behind the controls, sometimes elsewhere, such as alongside the grille or other panels.

Now refer to the picture I've attached below.

If the primary interlock (door switch) is good, and its mount is okay and it is aligned properly, then I would suspect the 20A fuse, the 15A fuse, and the cavity T.O.D. (thermal overload device, aka thermal cutout, TCO, thermostat).

Accessing some components (especially the oven cavity thermostat) for testing and possible replacement may require you to remove the oven from the wall and take off the outer cover.

If so, the installation instructions are very handy, and it's best to have two people since the microwave can be heavy and awkward.

You can download Whirlpool owner's manuals and installation instructions here.

As always, parts can be ordered from the Pros here.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 08-26-2011, 08:58 AM

rokbrnc is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the assistance!

At this point, I'm kinda lost. I rung out the wiring from the door switches, through the circuitry and back to the control panel. Everything ohm's out good and there is full continuity. I did find that the 15A fuse was blown so for troubleshooting purposes, I jumpered around it but still receive the DOOR message when attempting to start the m/w.

Is it possible that the control panel itself is bad and not interpreting the incoming signal from the circuit?

A couple of other things that might be noteworthy are that when I tested between the contacts for the magnetron fan, it showed as 'open' even though I had circuit continuity to and from the fan motor; could the fan motor have gone bad and tripped the 15A fuse?

Lastly, does the wiring schematic assume the door switches are in a closed, or open state? The door switches are wired in the following manner:

S1 = Red/Common, Blue/NO, Brown/NC
S2 = White/Common, Brown/NO, Blue/NC
S3 = White/Common, Blue/NO, -/NC
Old 02-27-2012, 10:47 AM

paulds is on a distinguished road

I would do no business with this guy, one year ago I sent him $40 & my microwave control board which he said would be fixed and sent back. I have not seen it yet. Apparently others have had this happen also.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:49 AM

KJofSD is on a distinguished road
Default Whirlpool "Door" error is caused by a fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyappl View Post
Please post your model number.
Nat
Had this same "door" error that other Whirlpool owners seem to have. Had an appliance repair guy out today and he knew exactly what was causing it. It's a 20 amp fuse that's blown. He was able to access it, albeit, a narrow opening by pulling out the microwave as far as it could go (I have a Whirlpool/oven combo) and squeezing his hand into the space and pop a new fuse in. Took about 10 minutes.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.