Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cjohn39  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2010 11:08:47 AM(UTC)
cjohn39

Groups: Registered

A tree fell on a power line, power surge to my house leaving my Whirlpool Microwave MH1170XSB3 dead. No lights on the control panel, can't press any button. Nothing. I opened the front control panel, pulled out a fuse, tested it on an OHM tester. It was fine. The wall outlet is fine. Is there another fuse within the unit I need to test? Is there a way to test the control panel to see if it is bad? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

wandatampa  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 17, 2010 5:12:28 PM(UTC)
wandatampa

Whirlpool Microwave Mod#MH1160XSY4 is also DEAD - Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated - Pls. Help!!
cjohn39  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 18, 2010 8:52:46 AM(UTC)
cjohn39

Originally Posted by: wandatampa Go to Quoted Post
Whirlpool Microwave Mod#MH1160XSY4 is also DEAD - Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated - Pls. Help!!

Let me start by saying I ended up replacing mine after exhausting any efforts made within my realm of comfort. Everything I read on the internet pointed to a fuse behind the control panel. I was able to access the fuse by removing a panel in the front of the microwave (2 screws) then I removed 1 screw at the top of the control panel, lifted up then pulled out. Unfortunately, my fuse was still good and it could have been anything at that point. I did not feel comfortable discarging the high voltage capacitor to OHM test the other components within the housing of the microwave. I called a repair man who told me to just come out to my house $82.50! That did not include parts and labor! I went to Conns.com and found a replacement for my microwave for $199.00 (free shipping). I am keeping my dead microwave because I am sure most of the components are still good. So if I ever get the nerve to try and discharge that capacitor myself I will test the components and see what is still good!:-) Make sure you unplug your microwave if you remove the control panel. Good luck! Let me know how it goes. Here is a helpful website. Notes on the Troubleshooting and Repair of Microwave Ovens
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply