Originally Posted by Admin / APP Team
Could be a problem with one of the door switches or the high side (diode, capacitor, magnetron or transformer). Because the capacitor stores power in it even if the microwaves is unplugged, I can't really advise on how to proceed for safety reasons, sorry.
Thank You for your honest diagnosis. I managed to locate my old Sears repairman who now works for G.E. and when I explained to him over the phone , he seems to think it's probably the magnetron, capaciter & diode that should be replaced. I checked the prices on the new ones (as he recommended) and they are still around $1350.00 for my model every where. They sure haven't gone down in price , as I had thought they would. Looks like it would be more adventagious for me to repair than to rebuy. He said the parts will be around $200. and then his labor. If I can buy a year or so , it will be well worth repairing. I'm just hoping nothing else majorly expensive could go bad before then. I also checked my warrantee ,as for the magnetron (as he recomended) , and it's only warranteed by GE for 5 years. I'm really glad that I managed to locate my old Sears repair tech. I really trust him. After he left Sears, I dropped all my maintenance agreements , as they ran out. The Tech's they were sending me , as well as the high priced service agreements weren't worth the money. Thank You Again for your honest advice and time.