Discuss

Electric Furnace cycles on and off

in

Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC)

. "

I have an old electric furnace and the blower cycles on and off every 30 seconds or so until it

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) » Electric Furnace cycles on and off

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 07:52 PM

jredv is on a distinguished road
Default Electric Furnace cycles on and off
Brand: -other-   Age: More than 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

I have an old electric furnace and the blower cycles on and off every 30 seconds or so until it gets to temp. BUT, when I take the cover off the blower enclosure, it doesn't do this.

The blower spins smooth like brand new, but I cleaned and oiled it anyway and the problem didn't go away. I guess maybe the blower is overheating?

By the way, I don't have this problem in the summe with the A/C (same blower) Any ideas anyone? Thanks

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 02-11-2010, 04:50 PM

John @ Fischers is on a distinguished road

So its' only doing this on heat cycle? BTW, in Elect. furnace, the blower comes on first for about 20- 30 seconds before your heat strip comes on, unless you have a heat pump. Which heat strip would be second call for heat, but blower comes on first either way.

Have you tried to just turn fan on manual at thermostat and see if it runs without shutting off. if so, then you will have a bad time delay relay. According to how many KW heater strips you have, will depend on how the relays are wired and which one is operating the blower.

Also, could have a bad thermostat due to when W is energized on stat, it closes the time delay relay and the fan is first call of heating cycle. could be losing connection to W on stat. just food for thought. let me know about the testing.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:35 PM

jredv is on a distinguished road

Thanks John, I will try those things when I get a chance and let you know. Your help is much appreciated.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.