Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
g20zoom  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 11:02:17 AM(UTC)
g20zoom

Groups: Registered

Hi, I have a 4 year old WALL AC unit, 10k btu in which the fan stopped working and the main board fuse is blowing. I like to troubleshoot and it just seems a waste to toss this $500-600 unit when it maybe something simple?
not sure. I'm handy so I'm thinking I can tackle this with some guidance.

model: LG LT1030CR
but on the side wall of the unit, it's
LT1030CRY7
250V unit.

Unit has been working but has shut down a couple of times in the past year or so. Unplugging, and plugging back in seemed to do the trick.

This time, when I plugged the unit back in...seemed like the fan was blowing slowly then unit completely shutdown. Power panel does not light up.

I discovered the 3.15 Amp fuse was black. I replaced it with a 3.15A slow blow fuse, turned unit back on. It blew again. repeated, same thing.
On the 3rd new fuse, I switched to the FAN mode quickly. no fan on modes F1/F2/F3.

When I switch to mode COOL, I heard the compressor kick in and the fuse blew in about 5-10 seconds.

I've read around...and it seems it could be Fan motor, main board, or capacitor. How should i go about troubleshooting?

* I read somewhere i can measure the resistance of the fan motor. If it's 0 or high impedance bad. It should measure around 1-3 ohms?
I can then measure between terminal and body of motor, should be really high ohms.

* capacitor - if need be, I can find someone with the right meter to measure it. visually, not signs of bulge or leaks

* then there is the main board

Any suggestions in the order of diagnostics? and other tips?

Thanks!
dan
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.