Discuss

Buying used HVAC system, good idea?

in

Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC)

. "

Interested in knowing what one should look for / consider when buying a used HVAC system to replace existing system.

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) » Buying used HVAC system, good idea?

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 01:28 PM

AppUser1 is on a distinguished road
Default Buying used HVAC system, good idea?
Brand: -brand-   Age: 5 - 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Interested in knowing what one should look for / consider when buying a used HVAC system to replace existing system. Also how price should be determined. Currently have 2 ton split system heat pump (Carrier Condensing Unit model 38YC024310 and Ruud UBHC-14J07SFD Air Handler located in attic). Considering purchasing a used 2 1/2 ton Bryant Quantum plus 13 SEER heat pump built 8/1999. Current system uses R-22 freon refrigerant I believe and the Bryant Quantum uses Puron R-410A refrigerant. I believe the indoor hair handler model is FV4ANF003 and outside condensing unit is 650an030-C .
Any comments or suggestion are greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited by AppUser1 : 02-04-2014 at 01:31 PM.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 02-18-2014, 05:37 AM

Mikey5598 is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't. It's not like a car where you can look and under it for oil leaks or listen to it to hear how it sounds. Plus the Bryant Quantum is 15 years old. Most HVAC systems like expectancy is about 16 to 18 if it was well maintained. You may run into issues such as pin hole leaks in your system that are sometimes very hard to repair, or find. Also you don't know how used that compressor is. It may be fine for say a week, and than it could just go out. I would just save up the dough and buy me something with a warranty. Now if this is something for say a backyard shop or something like that, where you want to take that chance than maybe. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:24 AM

Mikey5598, thank you for taking the time and posting a reply. I appreciate it. I'll do as you recommended, and pass. I believe the asking price was $300.00.
Again, thank you for your time.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:01 AM

Thanks for reply Sam. No way to test Thermostat (refer to indoor thermostat?) & compressor prior to installation, correct?
Old 07-16-2014, 04:14 PM

Any suggestions on what features to look for in electric split system heat pump replacement unit for current Ruud UBHC-14J07SFD Air Handler,
(Currently RHEEM / Rudd is installed from 1991 I believe)
- Rheem?
- SEER 14 or higher?
- Increase size form 2 tons to 2.5tons?
- Copeland two stage scroll compressor?
- single phase / single stage?
- Built in humidity sensor?
- CFM?
- Electric heat strip?
- 4 way airflow design?
- two speed fan / multi-speed motor?
- Automatic delay fan switch that turns off fan a few minutes after compressor turns off?
- Energy Star Qualified?
- Check filter light reminder?
Thank you in advance for all suggestions.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.