Discuss

Gas log fireplace problem

in

Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC)

. "

I have a gas log fireplace with a switch on the wall that ignites the fire from a pilot light.

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) » Gas log fireplace problem

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 03:45 PM

bbones77 is on a distinguished road
Default Gas log fireplace problem
Brand: -brand-   Age: More than 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

I have a gas log fireplace with a switch on the wall that ignites the fire from a pilot light. The problem is, if I want to use my blower, I have to plug the blower into a metal box receptacle located in the service area under the fireplace, and then unplug it to shut in off. Since this wasn't very handy, I ran a 14-2 romex wire from the receptacle box to the flame switch box and wired it as an extension of the black wire to switch the blower on and off. I used a duplex switch so that I didn't have to change out the wall box to accommodate 2 separate switches. I think this is where I screwed up. I first tried the top switch for the flame. It started up and went out as it should. I turned on the bottom switch for the blower and it also started up and shut down as it should. But when I turned them on together, there was a small flash of fire and then nothing. The blower continued to run but the fire would not start.

Since the duplex shares a ground with both switches, could this have caused the problem? Also, I'm not sure what I now need to replace.

Thanks for your help!
bbones77

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.