Gas log fireplace problem
Brand: -brand- Age: More than 10 years
I have a gas log fireplace with a switch on the wall that ignites the fire from a pilot light. The problem is, if I want to use my blower, I have to plug the blower into a metal box receptacle located in the service area under the fireplace, and then unplug it to shut in off. Since this wasn't very handy, I ran a 14-2 romex wire from the receptacle box to the flame switch box and wired it as an extension of the black wire to switch the blower on and off. I used a duplex switch so that I didn't have to change out the wall box to accommodate 2 separate switches. I think this is where I screwed up. I first tried the top switch for the flame. It started up and went out as it should. I turned on the bottom switch for the blower and it also started up and shut down as it should. But when I turned them on together, there was a small flash of fire and then nothing. The blower continued to run but the fire would not start.
Since the duplex shares a ground with both switches, could this have caused the problem? Also, I'm not sure what I now need to replace.
Thanks for your help!
Ads By Google