Appliance Repair Forum

Appliance Repair Forum (
-   Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) (
-   -   Gas log fireplace problem (

bbones77 02-03-2014 02:45 PM

Gas log fireplace problem
I have a gas log fireplace with a switch on the wall that ignites the fire from a pilot light. The problem is, if I want to use my blower, I have to plug the blower into a metal box receptacle located in the service area under the fireplace, and then unplug it to shut in off. Since this wasn't very handy, I ran a 14-2 romex wire from the receptacle box to the flame switch box and wired it as an extension of the black wire to switch the blower on and off. I used a duplex switch so that I didn't have to change out the wall box to accommodate 2 separate switches. I think this is where I screwed up. I first tried the top switch for the flame. It started up and went out as it should. I turned on the bottom switch for the blower and it also started up and shut down as it should. But when I turned them on together, there was a small flash of fire and then nothing. The blower continued to run but the fire would not start.

Since the duplex shares a ground with both switches, could this have caused the problem? Also, I'm not sure what I now need to replace.

Thanks for your help!

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17