Discuss

Central AC is not reducing humidity

in

Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC)

. "

Hi Guys. Thanks in advance for any advice. We turned on our AC yesterday. The system is blowing cold air

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) » Central AC is not reducing humidity

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 05:48 AM

danplaysbass is on a distinguished road
Default Central AC is not reducing humidity
Brand: -brand-   Age: More than 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Hi Guys. Thanks in advance for any advice.

We turned on our AC yesterday. The system is blowing cold air and properly regulating the temperature but the humidity is stuck in the mid 60's which makes it very uncomfortable.

The unit was on about a week ago and was working fine then we shut it off when the weather got a little nicer.

I checked the drain hose from the unit in my basement and there was hardly any water coming out of the unit, which confirms my thought that its not pulling out the humidity. The hose itself is pretty dirty and I was thinking about making sure it isn't clogged. Would a clogged drain hose be enough to cause the system not to pull the moisture from the air?

The system is original which puts it at about 23 years old (I'm saving for a replacement). I just wanted to check in with you guys before I pay to have a tech come out. I'm a pretty handy guy and I can fix most things.

Dan

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 05-29-2013, 02:27 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

denman is a glorious beacon of light

Would a clogged drain hose be enough to cause the system not to pull the moisture from the air?
It could but I would expect that the drip tray that runs around the bottom outside of your A coil would overflow and you would see water dripping out of the furnace somewhere. But this would depend on you set up.

The reason I say this is that the surface area of the water in the drip tray is fairly small so I do not think that the air going through the system would be able to pick up enough moisture to keep the humidity that high. But stranger things have happened.

Open the system up so you can check you A coil and the drip tray.

there is a possibility that the underside of the A coil is so dirty that it is holding the moisture and not letting it drain off.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:46 PM

romi77 is on a distinguished road

check the filters in your air conditioner
Old 05-23-2014, 12:02 AM

smithwatson50 is on a distinguished road

This sounds to me like the condensate line is plugged,..... normally the excess would run over the edge of the drain pan and make a big mess
Low charge
Overcharged unit if someone worked on it recently
Bad txv - not found on all units, other units use a fixed metering device instead
Worn compressor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.