Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
krok0504  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2012 1:06:00 AM(UTC)
krok0504

Groups: Registered

The blower motor on my furnace starting squeaking/squealing intermitently several days ago. It has not done it since to note. According to the owners manual no periodic lubrication is needed to the blower motor. Apparently it's a closed system. I took the blower assembly out and removed the motor to clean and inspect it (as well as the fan) and there are two small pins that pull out of the motor which reveal a long hole. Appears to me that it's exactly what an oil port would be as I have seen described online.

I moved into the house when the furnace was 8 years old so i doubt it is a replacement motor. I don't want to put oil in them if that's not what they are for for fear of possibly damaging the motor. I did extensive research online with the model number of the motor and I was unable to find any information if that motor has oil ports. I called GE (who makes the motor) and the 5th person I was transferred to told that Trane deals with their blower motors now. (what?) I called Trane and no luck there. I took a picture of the pins on the motor while in and removed. If there is a way I could send a picture to you I will do so.

The furnace is a Lennox Wisper Heat G2003/4E-100-3 and the blower motor is a GE 5KCP39NG R192S. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:14:09 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I also went hunting on the net but could not find anything that would confirm oilers.

You could attach images using the attach image icon. The icon with mountains and the sun.

I do not know how large the image file size can be but am sure there will be a limit on it. So if they do not get through try cropping or reduce the image quality.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
krok0504  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:17:55 PM(UTC)
krok0504

Here are the links of the four photo's I took. First one shows pin inserted into chamber. Second one shows pin pulled out. Third one shows depth of chamber. Last one shows pin inserted again and how there is one inserted (that can be removed also) directly across other end of motor from the other pin. Thank you for your help. If these are oil ports what type of oil and how much should I put in them?

http://i1285.photobucket...2C79FE08_zps7ba2d86b.jpg

http://i1285.photobucket...1D066C7C_zpsa5338d46.jpg

http://i1285.photobucket...103289EF_zps76178ad1.jpg

http://i1285.photobucket...24163A3F_zpsc6ce8c2a.jpg
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2012 12:28:13 AM(UTC)
denman

Yes, it also looks like an oil port to me.

Use any good oil sewing machine or 3in1 oil are good choices.
Do not use WD40 as it is not a good lubricant.

I would put in about 6 drops or so.
krok0504  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 7:48:04 AM(UTC)
krok0504

Ok thank you. In my previous research online I have seen many opinions from HVAC websites forums on what type of oil to put in a furnace blower motor from 10 weight only to 20 weight only to 30 weight only. Also I saw a site that said you can use 3 in 1 oil and a site that said never use 3 in 1 oil. In my research in what 3 in 1 oil is made of I found it is a 20 weight oil. I also called a local HVAC store to see if they sold oil specifically made for blower motors and they said no and they couldn't order any for me either.

Also my research indicated the amount of drops to add varied from 3 drops to 20 drops and from every 90 days to annually. I just want to make sure I do this right as a new motor costs around $200. What are you thoughts? Appreciate all your help.
denman  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 11:40:52 AM(UTC)
denman

I have been using 3 in 1 for my furnace motor and it is 40 years old.

I usually just fill the oil port with oil so 6 drops was a bit of a guess.
I then give it a few spins manually.
I see no evidence of excessive oil on the motor.
I do mine in the spring and the fall, when I turn the air conditioning on and again when I turn it off.
krok0504  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 11:47:53 AM(UTC)
krok0504

Ok sounds great. That's what I will do then. Thanks again!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply