Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
arolds12  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 26, 2009 8:14:39 AM(UTC)
arolds12

Groups: Registered

Hi
The gas log fireplace in the house that I am renting isn't working.
When I light the pilot light, it will burn for a few minutes and then go out.
At first I tried turning the flames on...but they went out and also the pilot. So after talking to my brother...he sugg. that I just let the pilot burn for a few minutes...
Any help is appreciated:-)
Ang
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

den9355  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2009 3:31:26 AM(UTC)
den9355

Originally Posted by: arolds12 Go to Quoted Post
Hi
At first I tried turning the flames on...but they went out and also the pilot. So after talking to my brother...he sugg. that I just let the pilot burn for a few minutes...
Ang

It sounds like a problem that I had with my gas hot water heater. I replaced the thermocouple and it solved the problem.
SublimeMasterJW  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 3, 2009 4:41:18 AM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
ODS (oxygen depletion system) gas safety heaters/fireplaces. The most common problem with these is the pilot flame does not keep the safety thermocouple hot enough to hold the safety magnet open,thus shutting down the fire in just a short time.
I use a product called rustbuster to squirt through the pilot burner into the ODS chamber(small chamber with flap just behind the pilot light) to remove tiny spider webs,dust,etc,that gets tangled up in the burner over the warmer months when the system is not in use.After making sure the ODS pilot chamber is cleared of these obstructions you move the control knob to the PILOT position press down on the knob and let the gas flow out of the pilot,,,snap down the red ignitor rapidly a dozen or more times till that flame light up. Hold down on that control knob till the tip of the safety thermocouple gets hot enough to generate electricity and hold the safety magnet in, allowing the pilot to stay lit. Next move the control knob to ON position. in about 20 seconds the flame should come on.
You will know the heater is working properly if the pilot flame is a long pretty blue color (2 inchs) The beauty of this system is when oxygen content of the home or room gets low, the chamber will lower the pilot flame and the safety will snap closed the main gas and no more fire.
When any dust or cobwebs get into it, it tends to quit after only a short while. That is why I flush the chamber from the pilot end with rust buster. Shop air will work, but rustbuster is best because it has a nice telescoping spout you can use to reach the pilot burner opening.You can get it at any hardware store for a cupla bucks.you never want to resize the pilot hole to make the flame bigger OOPS! doing so will cause you to have to purchase an new ODS pilot burner assembly.

UserPostedImage

ODS (oxygen depletion system) gas safety heaters/fireplaces. Notice the hole to clean arrows. You can use a straw to blow out the dust or shop air also. When the dust is removed the heater will work properly.I use a product called rust buster.It has a telescoping spout and I shoot a little right into the pilot. I flush it out without messing with the flap on the pilot safety! Bend that flap out and you have screwed up the pilot big time!
richard k burkhart  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 28, 2010 3:53:43 PM(UTC)
richard k burkhart

Originally Posted by: arolds12 Go to Quoted Post
Hi
Ang

my gas fireplacedoes the same thing, would like to hear your results thanks
derbysailor  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 4, 2010 8:51:49 AM(UTC)
derbysailor

Originally Posted by: richard k burkhart Go to Quoted Post

Cleared the air hole as suggested in the previous answer and everything's perfect.
mwilguess  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 18, 2010 10:31:08 AM(UTC)
mwilguess

I had a weak pilot flame and the unit would not fire or go out shortly after being lit.Tried the things suggested by SublimeMasterJW. This worked out great. Used QO Quick Dry contact cleaner to clean OSD. Be sure to let this dry before lighting. It is very flammable. Re-lit and set pilot burn for a few and the flame is good. The fireplace is back up and heating. The service guy I talked to wanted to replace the ODS Pilot assembly at 160 for parts alone. Thanks again for the info and the help.
Jerry1951  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 4:21:39 PM(UTC)
Jerry1951

Originally Posted by: richard k burkhart Go to Quoted Post

I'm having the same problem. I tried cleaing the air hole in the pilot with no luck. Local gas log dealers and hardware stores suggested the thermocouple was bad. Since the thermocouple is an integral part of the ODS pilot unit, I replaced the whole unit. The same thing is still happening. Any suggestions?
mwilguess  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2011 4:53:43 AM(UTC)
mwilguess

Had good luck cleaning the ODS with QD Contack cleaner. Pulled the uint out and cleaned on bench. make sure you get down into the holes on the back side of the unit. This is the possible area for spider webs, dust, etc. Make sure it is dry before lighting. QD Cleaner dries fast, but it is very flammable. The other thing is to make sure the pilot flame in on the thermocouple and that it does not move when the main flame is lit. Good luck.
Jerry1951  
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2011 5:57:33 AM(UTC)
Jerry1951

Originally Posted by: mwilguess Go to Quoted Post
Had good luck cleaning the ODS with QD Contack cleaner. Pulled the uint out and cleaned on bench. make sure you get down into the holes on the back side of the unit. This is the possible area for spider webs, dust, etc. Make sure it is dry before lighting. QD Cleaner dries fast, but it is very flammable. The other thing is to make sure the pilot flame in on the thermocouple and that it does not move when the main flame is lit. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply.
As I said in my post, I replaced the entire pilot assembley and it still won't stay lit. I am assuming thst there is something else wrong but my experience with this system is so limited, I don't know what it mihgt be.
SublimeMasterJW  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2011 7:11:44 AM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Use rust buster to flush out any contaminants that may be causing the flame to be too small. Let the rust buster set on there a while and dry slowly then retry. If that pilot still won't stay then your magnet is bad and the whole dang gas valve gonna need to be replaced. Remove the thermocouple and use a clean pencil eraser to clean out the corrosion in the magnet then reattach the thermocouple and retry.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply